Brother's Keeper by Elizabeth Finn

Brother's Keeper - Elizabeth Finn
In any event, it comes as quite a surprise when my bedroom door is flung open and the meanest man I’ve ever met comes staggering in to pick a fight with a seventeen-year-old. That’s alcoholism at its finest.

For a book with such potential, it went downhill fast. A story about a girl seeking refuge in her best friend's older brother, Logan. Rowan's father is an abusive alcoholic, and Rowan is his punching bag. After another run in with her father, Logan witness Rowan's injuries and he finds out the truth. With Logan on his way to become a lawyer, can he be the one to save Rowan from her father?

This book will appeal to to those who prefer the love story rather than focus on serious social issues, such as domestic abuse. The story has good parts; the writing is actually good for New Adult; the characters are somewhat likable except for when they're utterly selfish or ignorant (I was able to overlook this, but it's there); and the story isn't terrible. The problematic is that the focus of the story is on the 'romance' part rather than the abuse Rowan experiences. In fact, it is as if the abusive father is in the picture to give Rowan and Logan a reason to see each other alone, rather than to have a bigger impact on Rowan's character. As well is Logan's future career as a lawyer questionable. He ignores the ethical dilemma that he should follow the law and have the polie arrest Rowan's father. Let's just say his character isn't as believable in regard to this, but otherwise his character was a decent love interest.

In all though, Brother's Keeper is one of those 'smut with a plot'. There are several sex-scenes that, albeit well written, can be repetitive. It's a nice enough story, but as I keep to believe, abuse isn't a light matter, and it's not something to use as a plot device. It should be the main focus, or at least play a prominent role.