Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Unwind - Neal Shusterman
Unwinds didn't go out with a bang—they didn't even go out with a whimper. They went out with the silence of a candle flame pinched between two fingers.

Do you hear that? No? That is me setting this book down, dumbstruck by it. Hands down for one of my top five reads in 2014.

Where do I begin with a book like Unwind? The story and its characters is a perfect combination. The fast paced plot with several twist keeps the reader at the edge of the seat. The, both horrifying and beautiful, details are what makes this story stand out and simply come to life. Combine all of these and Unwindleaves you almost breathless.

Unwind takes place after the second Civil War where the war has been between two parts: pro-life and pro-choice. As a result, parents now have a choice about their children's lives. From the age of thirteen to eighteen, the parents can decide to unwind their children. This means every organ/body part of the child's body will be used for donation. Since every part of the child will still be 'alive', this appeals to the both parts from the war. However, the youths have no say in the matter, which brings us to whereUnwind begins with Connor who's just found out his parents have decided to have him unwind. We also have Risa, an orphan girl who's state home has decided she, as well, is to be unwound. Our third character, Lev, has been brought up for the purpose of being unwound because of underlying religion. After a traffic accident, these three characters are mixed and on the run.

Unwind might just be one of the best YA dystopian I've ever read. Even if I'm not convinced this is a possible scenario - the part where the youths have no choice at all and the part where the person who's being unwound is still alive and that the person who receives the unwinds organ's can sense the youth's emotions/feelings/thoughts - Unwind creates this world in a perfect manner. All from how youths are constant aware of the threat of possibly be unwound, to how the unwinds are treated since the moment the parents signs the contract, and to how the unwinds are treated when they're at the Harvest Camps. Unwindis provoking and leaves you wondering. It explores so many grey areas that many people considers black or white. Would you be able to proclaim your child an unwind? What would you do if youwere to be unwound? And those are just the two major questions. At the same time as it is thought-provoking, Unwind is also about Connor, Risa, and Lev's induvidual transformations. These three also makes the story so much more than just a dystopian world. These three people are flawed with different backgrounds, and they are perfect for drawing the reader in to the story for more than just the plot; you care for these characters. Unwind is so much more than I expected it to be, and it's a book many people can learn from apart from just an entertaining story. I'll be waiting for my copy of the sequel, UnWholly, and I suggest you grab your own copy of Unwind as soon as possible.