Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

Touch of Frost - Jennifer Estep

Touch of Frost is the worst Vampire Academy/Percy Jackson/Harry Potter mash-up ever.

Why the 2-star rating?

Gwen, our heroine. She's judgmental, self-absorbed, inconsistant, and constantly slut-shames.

Obvious plot. It's obvious around the 50% mark who's behind it all, and why. Gwen has a power which lets her see the things/people's past and feelings when touching them. Yet, she's reluctant to use it when trying to solve a murder nobody else cares about. (Since when doesn't anyone even try to figure out why a girl's been murdered? I mean, even if the teachers at the school are used to it, shouldn't they at least investigate it for security reasons?)

Villain's stupid motives. It's like the pettiest thing from a stereotypical high school with a drama queen.

Villain's monologue to give the heroine time to escape/be saved-cliché. I think this one is self-explanatory.

The mythology. Warriors and creatures from different mythologies ensembles together in a school to train? That's cool. Or, it would've been, if there'd been any explanation. Now it's just another mash-up of Greek and Norse mythology that doesn't make sense. Again, it doesn't make sense. You can't just throw them together for convenience. They're not even related or anything. Seriously, this could've been done so much better.

But, I'm a masochist, so I'll probably get around some day to read the second book with hopes things will be explained, that Gwen grows up (and stop using the word Yucko), and if it will be less clichéd and full of stereotypes.