To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

To All the Boys I've Loved Before - Jenny Han
If love is like a possession, maybe my letters are like my exorcisms. My letters set me free. Or at least they’re supposed to.

Welcome people, to the wonderfully naïve and innocent world of Lara Jean! (Yes, I say this with sarcasm.)

Lara Jean has a problem. No, she has troubles. He older sister Margot is moving away to Scotland after graduation high school. Lara Jean is kind of in love with Margot's boyfriend Josh. Lara Jean is sixteen but possesses the intellectual and emotional capacity of a thirteen year old. So when Margot moves Lara Jean is left to take care of her younger sister since her father works and her mother died when she was younger. And darn if it isn't hard to be sixteen with all these responsibilities.

I brighten up and then I remember how Margot said I’m in charge now. I’m pretty sure taking responsibility for one’s mistakes is part of being in charge.

From time to time I enjoy reading silly books. However, there's a fine line between silly good and silly bad. There's the silly good: the breezy read with humor and quirk. And there's the silly bad: the read which is just ridiculous. To All the Boys I've Loved Beforefalls somewhere in between, but leaning toward the latter. Some moments are adorable and actually funny, but mostly because Lara Jean is so utterly innocent and shielded. Everything else is just... well... stupid? And it all comes back to the fact that Lara Jean is the way she is. Margot is now eighteen (I think, she might be seventeen) and I believe this part shows exactly how naïvestupid Lara Jean is:

Margot and I, we made a pact, back in middle school. We swore we wouldn’t have sex until we were married or we were really, really in love and at least twenty-one. Margot might be really, really in love, but she’s not married and she’s not twenty-one. She’d never go back on her word. With sisters a pact is everything.

I'll focus on the plot a little more and give Lara Jean a rest. So the plot is basically this: Lara Jean writes letters to the boys she loves to get over them, but never sends these letters. And oops, suddenly those letters are sent (one to Josh, Margot's now ex-boyfriend, and four other boys) so Lara Jean must clean up the mess. She doesn't want Josh to believe she still has feelings for him - even if she does - so she comes up with the brilliant idea to use Peter K. as a fake boyfriend until it's clear she doesn't like Josh.

I can only speak for myself here but... that alone is just so stupid. Yes, this did lead to some funny and cute scenes, but when everything comes around it was stupid. I mean, that's something you do when you're twelve, not sixteen. Anyway, that's the plot. For a plot that's rather weak. What it comes down to is a long, dull, non-romance part for more than half the book without anything neither happening nor nothing gets resolved. It's like a dull romance novel without the romance.

But, I did give this book 3-star. Why? Peter K. I'm giving him and extra star. He's a funny character and, most of all, acts his age. Something about him spoke to me because I could recognize him so well. He's interesting with his initial presentation in this novel, and he saved this book with his personality. End of story, Peter K. was easily the one redeeming thing about this otherwise uninteresting and book.