Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden

Tomorrow, When the War Began - John Marsden

"Corrie, we were still innocent. Right up to yesterday. We didn't believe in Santa Claus but we believed in other fantasies. You said it. You said the big one. We believed we were safe. That was the big fantasy. Now we know we're not, and like you said, we'll never feel safe again, and so it's bye-bye innocence. It's been nice knowing you, but you're gone now."

What do you do when suddenly your whole country has been invaded? What do you do when it all happens while you're out on a trip in the wild with your friends?

Ellie and her friends decided to go hiking for a couple of days. Before they left things were a bit crazy with loose threats toward the country. Then they go away. And when they come back, everyone's gone. Houses are empty, families gone, hurt animals left behind, a few things taken away. To get some clarity on the state of things they sneak closer to town and find there's a base there with the invaders. So they are left wondering, what should they do?

Tomorrow, When the War Began might just be the beginning of a new favorite series for me. This story of survival is quite brilliant. Seven friends must decide what's worth fighting for, how far you're willing to go to save those you love, and who they really are when push comes to shove. These seven people are so different, both before and after the hike. Each character can be found in everyday life both for good and bad.

While this first book is rather short in the timeline, it's the right length to get to know these characters and the basics of what's to come. The most interesting about this book is the transformation these people go through in such a short matter of time and how they shoulder different roles in this new reality where they must be on the lookout at all times. Besides this there's also action and hard decision to be made. What can they risk? How many people's lives can they put at stake? What's worth risking everything for? And who are to decide?

“The biggest risk is to take no risk. Or to take crazy risks.”

Marsden manages to pull off a fast paced and provoking story in a simple way. And this is only the beginning. Tomorrow, When the War Began is the first in this series, and I imagine the following books will be filled with more struggles for this group since they so far only have built a base and not actually participated in the war. In short, a great start for the series!

As a side note, now I just have to wait about three months to get the next from the school library... Well, what can you do?