A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

A Game of Thrones  - George R.R. Martin
"The things we love destroy us every time, lad. Remember that."

Always the one last to the party, I have heard of this series for so long now. Both from friends reading the books and those following the television series. And yes, I sometimes enjoy asking them if their favorite character is dead yet. Pretty much every time they give me a nasty look before needing moral support for the next minutes so they can grieve their lost one. So, when reading this, you'd think I'd be ready. I thought I was ready. Know what? I was so not ready for this. I don't want them to die, okay?

I won't make this a long review because most of what I'd say have already been said. The characters are of all sorts: despicable, wonderful, amusing, stupid, lovable, repulsive... you name it. And of course, some of them killed. (Yes, I'm certainly looking forward to need that moral support later on myself.) The writing is perfect in the portrayal of this screwed up world they all live in and the events in it. In all, a very unique and enjoyable read except for a few minor issues I had with it, but I'll overlook them since everything else made up for it. Definitely starting the next one soon!