The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott

The Unwritten Rule - Elizabeth Scott
I liked him first, but it doesn't matter. I still like him. That doesn't matter either. Or at least, it's not supposed to.

What to say about The Unwritten Rule? It's a story both sour and sweet. About weighing the options and consequences when there shouldn't be an option. Because the thing is, you do not like your best friend's boyfriend. You don't have a thing for him. You don't look at him and wish he'd been with you instead. That's just the way it is, isn't it? It's in this position our MC Sarah finds herself. Her long-time crush Ryan is together with her best friend Brianna. For the time – almost eight weeks - Brianna and Ryan have been dating, Sarah's been keeping her feelings to herself. But when hints starts to fly that Ryan might feel something for her too, what can she do: betray her best friend or stay loyal?

While the story is good, there's little to it. Sarah's character is easy to sympathize with in her inner struggles when it comes to her feelings for Ryan and Brianna. However, her thoughts are repetitive throughout the entire novel, which became boring to follow after getting about 60% through. It's should I do this or that, and then the same arguments for and against. All the while she's spending time with Brianna and Ryan, getting to know the ups and downs in their relationship which makes her feelings even harder to ignore. Then we have Brianna's struggles with her divorced parents who's letting their anger out on her. With the short length of this one, there's little space to give the characters any bigger depth, and they remain a bit stereotypical. I would've loved for this novel to be longer to give every character more time to develop, and some bigger subplots to give the reader a break from Sarah's inner monologues on her situation.

Over all, it's a decent story many people will enjoy. Perhaps my enjoyment of this was dulled by how short it was, and the lack of greater character development. I did like both Sarah and Ryan though, but at the same time I also thought each of these three had their worse moment when they should just get over themselves. But on the whole, not a bad story, just not quite enough to make me fully like it.