SPOILER ALERT!

Review: Falling Into You by Jasinda Wilder

Falling Into You  - Jasinda Wilder
She’s biting her lip, worrying it between her teeth, gray-green eyes pinning me to the bench. Shit. For some reason I can’t fathom, that habit, the biting her lip…I can’t take it. I want to throw down the guitar and go over to her and take that perfect plump lower lip into my mouth and not let go.

No, this isn’t FSoG, but I’m having a hard time separating the two. I’ll give Falling Into You the praise of being better written, although for the rest… well, there’s not much good about this. Since the book is divided into three parts (even if the last part was very short and could have been included in the second part) I’ll do the same with this review. And I’ll just apologize right away because it’s gonna be a long one.

Part One:
This part is the story of Nell and Kyle, and how they fall in love after being best friends since forever. That’s really all it’s about, because neither of them have any other issues. Except if you count Nell’s flaws:

I have some flaws. I’m kind of wide in the hips for my height, and my bust is a little too big for my frame, but whatever.

If we start with Nell in this part, there’s not much to say about her character. She is the innocent, perfect, wealthy, much liked girl. She’s not allowed to date until she’s sixteen since her dad tells off the guys in school when one of them asks her out before her birthday (might be worth mentioning her dad is a CEO and highly influential in their town). So Nell is basically a walking cliché straight down to not having kissed anyone and secretly watchesTrue Blood. And honestly? I couldn’t care in the least for her. Maybe because she was too perfect and lacked personality. That, and the fact that the story didn’t give her any room to develop any. I’ll get back to this in a minute.

Let’s talk about Kyle then. When his best friend Jason asks Nell out when she turns sixteen, he loses it when she tells him. I think most of you can figure out why, and the same night they decide to start dating each other. Where I didn’t care for Nell, I did so for Kyle, but only a little. Mainly because he, too, wasn’t given the right care to develop a personality. They were both very bland, stereotypical in a really boring way. Okay, there was one thing that made me dislike these two people more than except for the blandness of them both. At one point, they’re out driving and drive into a deer. Which falls to the ground, motionless. And what does these two do? They laugh. Then start to make out. Then confess some love for each other. THEN they go check on the motionless deer. Yeah, I’d say both of them have pretty messed up priorities.

As I said, my biggest problem was the dull personalities. It’s not strange this is, because most of the first part and their relationship is all about their physical relationship. To me, a relationship is more defined by how the people interacts in social situations and when they’re alone not being physical. And sadly enough, the portrayal of Nell and Kyle’s relationship only focuses on them taking their relationship to the next level physically, because we’re told they’re best friends and does everything together, and that they stay like this when they start dating. I’m sorry, but that’s not enough for me to believe or understand their love for each other. Also, the focus on this leaves out much of their personalities.

So, when Kyle dies, I didn’t feel much for either him or Nell’s reaction to it. Because I didn’t know them or their connection, or love. It just fell flat.

And well, Nell didn’t win any points with me when she started kissing Kyle’s older brother Colton on the day of Kyle’s funeral.

I had several problems with Colton’s presentation in the first part. The first being how he instantly falls for Nell and is so darn protective of her. Wherever she went, he was there to pick her up, comfort her and so. While it was nice (I guess) it was also creepy, in a way. But the biggest issue was still him falling for her immediately.

Part Two:
If I had issues with part one, they don’t even come close to those in the second. Here we have to broken people, Nell and Colton, being assholes. It’s two years later, and Nell has moved to New York where Colton lives. The moment he sees her, he wants her, with very little guilt of her being his dead baby brother’s ex-girlfriend. And Nell… Oh, Nell. I thought this would be the struggle of her falling for Kyle’s brother, but neither of them are actually really concerned that long about it. They struggle more with Nell’s depression (which Colton believes he can fix without her seeking professional help, yeah right) than Kyle’s death. I know some people loved Colton, but I honestly didn’t. Let me paint the scene for you:

An evening. Nell is almost raped in her apartment when Colton happens to walk by. He saves the day and beat the guy to a bloody pile. He calls up some of his old gang members to take away the bloody body. Colton takes Nell with him to his apartment. Here he tells her his tragic story of being homeless, joining a gang and more. Then Colton makes her reveal the details of Kyle’s death so she breaks down in tears. After this, he wants to make out with her, so he does. All this in one night.

No. Colton did not do it for me. And neither did Nell seeing how the next morning she feels Colton up in his sleep, without having a choice in it. Maybe she should’ve thought about what the fucking law says? Because that’s not quite legal.

The problem with this part, as with the first, is the focus on sex. Again, a relationship is not defined by sex. The story tried to give Colton a personality since Nell lacked one. However, the author tried too hard with Colton. He comes from a rich family, but leaves for the big city. He’s dyslectic, used to be a gang member and boxer. Yet he’s gentle and plays guitar and sings. He’s also dominant in the bedroom. Perhaps all of this could be realistic, but we’re told most of this and his backstory, so it never felt truly believable.

Part Three:
I’m not going to waste time on this part. There’s drama. Unnecessary drama. I did enjoy some parts of this better than the rest of the story. Not enough to make it worth it, though. What surprised me throughout the whole book though, was the lack of secondary characters. The whole second part, the families are barely mentioned, and much less in this actual story when they should be. Why did Nell’s parents just go along with her moving alone to NY? Did they make her see someone? Why weren’t they more concerned about her? Where was Nell’s former friends (which, by the way, the second book is all about)? Yeah, there were too many things off with this book to make it believable.