Review: A Summer To Remember by Jessica Gunhammer

A Summer to Remember (Seasons) - Jessica Gunhammer

When the love of her life dumps her, and she moves in with her rebound guy two weeks later, something is wrong.

I understand that people jump into relationships, and I'm cool with that. Not judging here, but I don't buy it when she claims to already have a love of her life. This girl, Ava, claims that Jason is the love of her life, her safety net, her everything. He then dumps her graduation day. Then, the same evening, she runs into this Adrian guy. After knowing him for almost half an evening, this is her take on Adrian:

This guy was the hottest, funniest, sweetest guy I’d ever met.

Excuse me, but Jason? The love of your life? You forgot about him?

All right. I call bullshit. And no, not just on this particular thing, but all of it.

Plot, you say? Was there one? No. This book, the whole of 92 pages of it, was filled with Ava (as I was told) falling in love with Adrian over the course of the summer. (Read: Two weeks.) Except they don't. They more or less fall for the other in an instant. This after Adrian drops sexist and amazing lines such as this:

"You’re not too bad for a girl," my handsome opponent said as he came over to shake my hand.

I didn't know men have extra qualifies to make them the better gender at beer pong.

Let's slow down for a moment. Ava here is one of the flattest characters ever. Wait, maybe Adrian is. Okay, all of them are. Character development and characterization are painfully lacking here. I can't tell how either Ava or Adrian looks. (I think he might have green eyes?) Other than that... hobbies? I'm not sure on Ava's part. She barely does anything except whine over her indecision between choosing Adrian or Jason. Adrian has a thing for football. And apparently it's perfectly normal for newly college graduates to become the new football scout for a big team.

I can't even say what's wrong about this book, since it really is more of a first draft. No flesh on the characters, no real plot since there is no issue to solve, nothing to overcome, at least nothing big enough to be excused for a plot. No connection to any characters. Repetitive writing. Writing in bad need of editing since I'm pretty sure no one changed to rules and made it perfectly fine to switch tenses within a sentence. And God, all through the book I was thinking, please, tell me more. Absolutely no showing and explaining every single thing.

“Yeah, I can tell. I’m kind of surprised you’re so…”
“Happy after Jason broke up with me?” I finished her sentence.

The ... made your interruption perfectly clear.

Or this (as is done several times throughout the book):

“I don’t, but geez you sure haven’t wasted any time.” I heard the irritation in his voice.

Please, I'm dying to be told more.

And then we have the amazing Ava and some of her best moments:

Here I was sitting on a beach, or the closest thing we have to a beach around here, under a beautiful full moon, making out with a gorgeous guy I just met. This was something I didn’t do often and I felt semi-guilty about, but I couldn’t help the fact that it just felt right, like I was supposed to be here with him.

Considering how she's had a boyfriend for the past four years I hope this isn't something she's done on a regular basis.

And when she runs in with one of Adrian's exes, Sam, and questions him about if he still likes her, she throws the biggest fit ever. When Adrian points out that she too has an ex in town and that she might go back to him, her comment is this:

“Yeah, but he’s an idiot! Sam is gorgeous!”

So if Sam's an idiot, Adrian can still go back to her? Because she's gorgeous? Yeah, I'm not touching that sexist comment even with a stick.

This book is one train wreck after another. Plot, characters, writing, editing. Everything is inconsistent, messing up facts and pieces of the story. The lack in Ava's character could've perhaps been saved by a decent plot. I'm sorry, but I don't take following two completely boring, plain, untroubled people for a few weeks as a strong plot. It could've been if they had faced some issues to overcome. But they don't. Instead it's 92 pages of meaningless scenes.