Review: Where I Need to Be by Kimberly Knight

Where I Need to Be - Kimberly Knight

Should I begin analyze these character's actions? Discuss their possible motives for staying in the relationship they build? The emotional stress when a big dose of reality lands on their heads that should force them to reflect of the bond between the characters?

Actually no. I'll start with talking about sex.

Why? Because that is basically what this book is all about: sex. It is everywhere. Spencer, our heroine, spots a hottie, Brandon, on her gym. She thinks about having sex with him. She randomly meet Brandon when she and her friend goes to Vegas. Spencer thinks he's hot. They dance. She thinks about having sex with him. They somehow get together when they return home, and then sex seems to be the foundation of their relationship. Their relationship hits a bump that would make most couple go through months of anguish; these two have sex instead of dealing with it. Whenever the subject is brought up later they have sex.

That's this book. Pretty much all of it. After about 50% I skipped over most parts of the sex scenes because they were just too repetitive. It reads as if they simply go through the motions with very little passion – despite the author's words telling us there is plenty of that. The emotions we're told of feel vain, hollow, and unfounded. I understand lust, I'm cool with that, but not in the long haul of a relationship. Sorry, but it doesn't work like that. I didn't mind Spencer fawning all over Brandon from the first time she saw him. I didn't mind that he made her feel things no one else had. This can all be blamed on lust. It can be the reason for starting a relationship. But – and this is the biggie – when there is no further build up of a relationship that is meant to last, I do mind it. Is it too much to ask that, for once, the main characters' feelings grow from something else than sex and lust? Because I don't buy it. I don't buy that these two people fall in love when they know practically nothing about the other. I don't buy that Brandon can't envision his life without Spencer after only a few weeks, if even that long. Most importantly, I don't buy it when the whole relationship is based on sex.

Perhaps the problem lies in the fact that the author takes time to describe every move, every piece of clothing, and anything in the room – but not the character's feelings or appearance. Our narrator Spencer is so freakin' understanding and compassionate that she is nothing close to authentic. She feels like a piece of cardboard cut in the shape of perfection. The thing though... cardboard is flat. And so are not only Spencer, but also the rest of the characters. Character development? Not much. Again, they're all going through motions, never growing from their experiences. Because, as I said, sex is more important than growth. And seriously, what is up with all these people in their mid-twenties talking like high schoolers?

It's really hard coming up with good things to say, but one thing is the first few chapters. Not groundbreaking good, but good. Interesting enough. Too bad all the sex ruined the rest. If the book had taken a different course and filled it with more raw emotions it would've been great. It was already rather short as it was and it could've been even shorter if cutting down all the needless scenes. I'd preferred if the story reflected more on the part with Brandon and Spencer's exes. These stories could've been neatly tied together and made the whole story much more powerful than the one presented. This one quickly become boring when nothing happens and the sex is more prominent than any actual plot.