Review: Trouble by Samantha Towle

Trouble - Samantha Towle

I didn't particularly like this book (duh, one star rating?). I felt zero for any of the characters despite all their troubled pasts and whatever family drama. And the plot? Excuse me, but it was too predictable to handle. I know people love this author and her work, and I did read The Mighty Storm back in 2012 and enjoyed it somewhat, even though I know I'd probably dislike it read I it today. Either way,Trouble did nothing for me, and you can call me heartless for not caring even a little bit for these characters.

Let me explain a little first. It's not that I can't read about broken heroines/heroes, I can. In fact, I enjoy doing it and seeing them expand as people, grow from their issues and such. But just because someone is broken or hurt, I don't automatically feel for them. And here's why: I've been that girl. Someone who's had issues on her own (I'm not talking some of the more violent experiences, but when it comes to the state of mind). Due to this I've had people treat me different ways; I know the reactions people have to 'broken' people. After those times in my life, I don't automatically feel for a person, because I know there are stories behind many things, and people view things differently.

Anyway, with that said, I didn't feel for these characters. Trouble is the story of Mia. Her dead father used to abuse her, her new boyfriend abuses her, and she has an eating disorder. Then we have our hero, Jordan. This poor boy lost his biological mother, and her then stepmother, gambling issues, and a violent streak. Now to the part where my little rambling earlier will make sense. I can feel for people, or in this case, characters, but I want their inner troubles to make sense. Mia's doesn't. Or maybe they do, but I'm never given enough information from her to know for sure. Her thoughts are too shallow for someone abused so badly, and the same goes for Jordan. I understand he uses sex as a defense mechanism, but I don't think I read a single chapter from his POV where he wants to do someone (often Mia).

Then we have the fact that Mia is TSTL. Just this quote will explain a lot:

But this is Jordan.
And I’m about eighty-five percent sure I can trust him. He’s given me no reason to not. And yes, I know Forbes came across as trustworthy in the beginning, but back then I was naïve and a fool.

Forbes is her previous abusive boyfriend, by the way. Anyhow, I don't remember the exact matter of time, but I do believe she thinks this after having met Jordan less than a week before. I'm sorry, but I can't handle stupid people like that, no matter how broken she/he is. She acknowledges she did this mistake before, and yet, without having any therapy or help, she is putting her in the same position as before.

Aside from that, the writing. Oh God, the writing. Prepare yourself, another little story from my own life here. On one of the tests I did in school once, my teacher told me I deserved an A for the short essay, but she couldn't give me one. Why? Because one of my paragraphs was too short. I know, it's different writing an essay and a novel, but for that reason, I couldn't help but jerk a little each time I came across an extremely short paragraph. Funny thing, most of them were. Many of the paragraphs are short, and it makes for chunky reading (I jerked a lot by the way. People around me almost thought I had a seizure).

So no, I couldn't care much for this story or the characters. They were all shallow and underdeveloped. The plot is predictable and the romance is rushed as they fall in love in about two weeks. I'm all for love at first sight, but I don't believe someone as abused as Mia was would fall head over heels for a guy who sleeps around, has violent streaks, and is pushy, in this short time.