Review: A Shade of Vampire by Bella Forrest

A Shade of Vampire (A Shade Of Vampire, #1) - Bella Forrest

Note to self: When a book is recommended for fans of Twilight, stay away! It's not for you!

A Shade of Vampire isn't per se alike Twilight. It is in fact many elements which are highly unlike Twilight. The setting and plot are different from it. However, the characters were very much alike those found in Twilight. Perhaps this is one of the major reasons for my dislike. We have our Bella and Edward in Sofia and Derek. The former is a loner, doesn't see anything special in her whereas others do, and is ignorant of her beauty. The latter, Derek, is our vampire with an instant fascination with Sofia. The setting is different, but the scenario is rather the same.

The story revolves around Sofia being kidnapped by a vampire and is taken to an island where the sun doesn't shine. She is brought here to be part of Derek Novak's personal harem (blood slaves), and to survive she has to please him. That is the premise. Sounded interesting enough, but it lacked proper execution. For one, as I stated earlier, the characters needed more work to them. I'll begin with my issues with Sofia. Her reaction to being kidnapped is nearly non existent. Very questionable, in my point of view. She stays calm even while facing death several times, never seeming to react to the events. So, in summary, she was too unflawed for my tastes.

Second, Derek have been asleep for four centuries when Sofia is brought to the island as he wakes up from his slumber. One would believe him to speak different, think different, and act different from the other characters, but he is speaking in the same tone as the rest, making his character unrealistic. This is probably what is the most strange about him, and it's surprising to me no one else have seemed to take notice of this. Other than that, I also didn't appreciate his persona, but I can see why other people take a fancy for him.

Add on POV shiftings between the characters and a first person narrative, their voices weren't distinct in any way, and I had to remind myself which person was currently doing the narrating. In conclusion of this, the characters needed more flesh on their bones, which dragged down the book in its whole.

Other than that, the plot was intriguing at times, boring at others. The book is rather short, which made the jumps between scenes quick, and I would have loved some more lengthy scenes to remove the hasty shiftings and add some more depth in the dynamic between the characters since much felt rushed and without build up (the romance for example). I'll admit I had somewhat high hopes for this and that it might have caused my disappointment. This is probably a good read if you are a fan of Twilight but as I am not, the book fell flat. The writing of both books are on about the same level except whereas Meyer overdid herself with adjectives, Forrest could use a thesaurus to avoid repetitive writing.