Review: Forbidden by Syrie James and Ryan M. James

Forbidden - Syrie James, Ryan M. James

After being kept awake all night by reflecting on what bugged me with Forbidden, I've finally figured it out. When it finally came to me around 4 a.m. in the morning, it made me realize why I couldn't fully enjoy the book. This little revelation to me also made one thing more clear, and that is, it's not only an art to write a book. It's just as big of an art to make a good blurb for a book, one not too revealing, yet making the book sound interesting. That said, with Forbidden one gets what it says on the blurb. And that's it.

The blurb tells most of the book, and if you read between the lines in it, you have the whole plot. Claire, average girl with a mom that moves every other year, and an absent father. Claire also has strange visions. She should not exist. Take Alec, new boy in school. This boy is fed up with the rules he's lived by that makes him watch and kill the Nephilim, and is now hiding from his angelicforefathers. Then the blurb questions how far Alec is ready to go to save Claire.

For the first half of the book I waited on something to happen. Except for a scene more or less stolen from Twilight where Edward/Alec saves Bella/Claire from being killed, the first half of the book is simply leading up to reveal that Claire and Alec are special and that their love is forbidden. Which is what's already revealed in the blurb. That is about 200 pages with not much contributed to the story.

Despite the laid out plot, this book could have been good if it wasn't for some other issues, one of them being Claire. For a girl who needs to keep a 3.8 GPA, she's one of the most impulsive, foolish and ignorant MC's I've seen. Every time she is told not to tell anyone certain things, the first thing Claire does is go informing her friends on the matter.

Which leads me to the next big issue. Here's where Claire's friends come into the picture. Now, imagine your best friend comes to tell you that she can see the future and the past, plus that the hot new kid is something out of this world, literally. Most of us would either laugh and not believe her. Claire's friends however are rather onboard with it all a little too quickly. They believe her almost instantly.

I had several issues with this book, but these are just a few and I won't bother lining the rest of them up, except for this: Lately in the YA-paranormal genre, the "special" one is always the person with either, a) an absent parent or, b) no parents at all. Are all authors out of ways to add a plot twist without this criteria? Because this trend is growing a little too obvious lately. If someone knows a book where this isn't the case, please tell me!