Play of Light by Debra Doxer

Play of Light - Debra Doxer
I thought I couldn’t really love anyone until I saw Spencer again. Then I realized the problem wasn’t that I couldn’t love—it was that I couldn’t love anyone but him.

New Adult, step it up, you're predictable. This is how to sum up my experience with Play of Light. Although I enjoyed it more than the majority of New Adult, it's still more of the same.

We have Sarah and Spencer. Her family was forced from town after a series of unfortunate events that caused Sarah's death. A few years earlier before this all happened, Spencer moved to the town, and Sarah, a young girl almost immediately starts to crush on the new (older) guy after he helped/rescued her one day. But when Sarah leaves town, she and Spencer lose touch for several reasons. Now, years later, Sarah is ready to return to where she grew up, hoping to find closure with her past, but also with Spencer. Or so she thought.

I'll give Sarah credit: she's one of the few New Adult heroines that didn't drive me up the walls. She was a nice character who really wanted the best, both for herself but for others too. And while I didn't agree with all her choices, I could still see her point of view. It's worth mentioning that the author's writing was on par, not exaggerated or overly dramatic in comparison to other NA titles.

Apart from Sarah and the overall writing though, Play of Light is still a bunch of New Adult tropes thrown into a mixer. We have the abusive background, traumatic experiences, slutshaming (the girl interested in the heroine's love interest is a bitch and a skank, all groupies are skanks, hell, even the heroine's own sister is labeled a skank), the heroine's best friend is "slutty" (not in a bad way since she's the heroine's best friend), a "destined" love interest (a guy who pushes her away despite his love), misunderstandings and miscommunication. It's everything that almost all New Adult books are. The big difference is that it's not overly dramatic in its presentation of these already dramatic themes. So while it's better written than a lot of other NA titles, it's still, as said, more of the same, and at this point I'm looking for more than that when it comes to New Adult.