All the Rage by Courtney Summers

All the Rage - Courtney Summers
You know all the ways you can kill a girl?
God, there are so many.

A lot can be said about All the Rage, but the word that comes to mind is safe. Which is insane, considering the themes this book deals with: rape, bullying, misogyny, murder, victim-blaming, and more. I'm still calling it safe, and let me explain why.

Personally, this felt like 'how to write feminist fiction 101'. (A good thing, of course. I rated the book three stars after all.) We need more feminist fiction. This book falls right into that category with tackling the themes mentioned above. Summers tells the tale of Remy, a young girl who was raped by the town's golden boy, and now she lives with the reality of how (some, even many) victims are treated. It's an honest and accurate portrayal, but it's also incredibly safe. There's little to Remy's personality that causes greater emotion in me. I feel for what she went through, but I don't necessarily care for Remy at any point in the story.

Also there's the problem of the secondary characters. None of them are fleshed out enough to make a lasting impression. Which might be a deliberate choice done by the author to remain focus on Remy, in the process of doing so it loses the dynamic these characters could've brought to the plot. Because this is a plot driven story, and yet, there are mostly erratic scenes that, at times, brings nothing or very little to the overall story. Add in that Remy is the only character with more than one dimension, it's hard to keep the story floating.

Despite of all that, the story is still good. As said, it's feminist fiction at its most basic, I feel. It's a safe story, and they are never brilliant, and while they can be boring, they are never bad. All the rage is a good story, but it's more of a social commentary on our society with its victim-blaming before anything else. Summers is a great writer and in this book she paints a haunting atmosphere, which alone makes this story worth your time.