Boundless by Cynthia Hand

Boundless - Cynthia Hand

This is like Penryn & the End of Days series all over. Okay, not quite, because I still liked the second book in that series whereas I detested the second on in this series. In both cases though, in the last book, morals were shoved down the reader's throat in a way that the previous books hadn't. Let me explain, but first a quick summary of the last book in the Unearthly series.

In Boundless Clara is back and the (supposed) suspense is trapping up. There's talk about a war. Clara struggles with her feelings for Christian and her own purpose. Angela, in the meanwhile, is acting strange. All in all though, the last book of the series is lacking in suspense (all twists are obvious from the go). It's boring with its predictability. What should've been a big part of this story (the only interesting part) is severed down to around thirty pages.

But that's not what I want to talk about, not really. In book two, the religious aspects were increased, as well as the accompanying morals this brings. Now, before anyone jumps to Christianity's defense, I personally believe everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and I know not all Christians are the same and have the same morals and/or values. That said, in Boundless stereotypical Christian morals are glaringly present. Saving oneself for marriage. A girl having sex for the first time with a fling ends up pregnant. Non-believers are presented as immoral, with tattoos and little clothing. A female angel's purpose in life can be to bear a child. Or, given these quotes:

"You healed him until you passed out, until you stopped breathing yourself for a few seconds, and then Jeffrey thumped him on the chest a few times, gave him a couple of puffs that I’m sure neither of them will ever want to talk about again, and he came back."

“We’re not—” I sigh. “It’s complicated. We don’t want to be together because somebody told us that we have to be.”
“And by ‘somebody’ you mean God, right?”
Of course it sounds insanely arrogant of me, insisting on a relationship on my own terms, when she puts it like that.

Along with some events in the first and second book, it's hard to overlook this. Not to mention that when the ending comes, the heroine relies on, not one, but two male MCs to help her save the day. In the first case, she needs one's strength to find her own. Yeah, not quite a great message to send to young girls. Hey, to be strong you'll need a strong man to help you find your strength. The second time, it's love that saves the day. Meaning that, if the heroine had not loved the male hero, she wouldn't be able to save them. Basically, in the end, the heroine wouldn't actually be able to do something on her own without her two male companions. Given that Clara is described as perfect, doesn't this send quite the message? Even a perfect young woman can't save herself and her friends without help from a man.

A poor ending to what could've been a good trilogy.