Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

Hallowed - Cynthia Hand
“Our purpose on this earth is not one single event, an accomplishment we can check off a list. There is no test. No passing or failing. There's only us, each moment shaping who we are, into what we will become.”

Unearthly didn't impress me, but I like to give series the benefit of the doubt, meaning I read the second book even if the first one wasn't all that. Sometimes that is a good gamble, sometimes not. Hallowed falls into the later category. It keeps the dullness from Unearthly, the lack of action and suspense and adds in religion. Neither was a good thing.

Hallowed takes up almost exactly where Unearthly ended. Like the first book, this one drags for a long time before anything significant to the overall story happens. In the meanwhile, the aspect of religion increases. For me, this was a bad thing. Because the parts of Christianity that is used for world building is severely lacking and doesn't really make sense at times. There are myths supposed to explain the world, but it misses the mark.

But they never truly belonged on earth, and their children lived a long time and kept multiplying, until there were more Nephilim than humans on the earth. Which became a problem.

Why? Why is that a bad thing? Because God wanted a world populated only by humans? Did the Nephilims run havoc? Suffice to say, the world building isn't working in this series.

To be fair, my biggest issue with this book is one conversation in particular, which ruined the entire book.

“Rape is not a Black Wing’s style. They prefer seduction. They want to win you over to their side.”
“What about Angela’s mom?” I point out. “She was raped.”
“Yes, so she says.”

Yup, the mom is actually accusing a grown woman of pretending being raped, and then told that story to her child. No one questions this. No one mentions this again. We - the readers - are supposed to wave this off as if it's nothing. Sorry, can't do that. There's no excuse for this.