Falling for Fate by Caisey Quinn

Falling for Fate (Second Chance Book 2) - Caisey Quinn
 photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Tropes: 24

“It damn sure is my business. How can you do your real job if you’re out every night, prancing around half naked behind the bar till God knows when?”

Our leading man, ladies and gentlemen! Isn't he charming? (And yes, he says this to the heroine.)

Falling for Fate opens with Fate coming to New York for her first job. Initially, she was meant to move there with her soon-to-be husband, but when she caught him cheating on her with her best friend, Fate does the move on her own and calls off the wedding. That night when she caught her fiancé and best friend, she ran down the beach where a out of this world handsome man found her, and one thing led to another, and he took her virginity right there on the beach. When he left a few seconds, Fate ran. Now, back to present day and New York, she runs into the man from the beach. Who just happens to be her new boss, Dean. He's spent all his awake moments since that night trying to either forget about the woman who's virginity he took or doing his best to find her, both without much luck. When they meet, Dean wants nothing more than have her again, and Fate is hesitant to do so.

All right, let's just get this out of the way: this book is terrible. The only thing that isn't bad is actually the writing (which is one of the most common complaints about New Adult as a genre). It's good. But it doesn't make up for the rest of the book.

Introducing: our main characters. Dean is your typical creep, sexists/misogynist that the New Adult genre is so good on producing. He shames women for having sex, and treats them like sex objects. So when he finds Fate, our virgin heroine, and finds out she's a virgin, he falls in love. Suddenly he believes he has some kind of say in what she does with her body.
He’d been inside her, dammit. The first man ever. He sincerely hoped he was still the only man ever.

Excuse me for not worshiping the ground he walks on. Misogynist assholes aren't my type, that's all. Besides, Dean's obsession with the fact that Fate was a virgin until he came along is beyond creepy. He's practically more in love with this fact than he is in love with Fate.

In the other corner, we have Fate. Guess what? She loves to shame women too. Not only women having sex, but people in general. For example when Dean fires his female assistant (because she propositioned sex to him at the workplace) the assistant is replaced.
And his slutty assistant had been replaced by a fuller-figured woman who looked to be in her forties.

This implying that a woman with a fuller figure and in her forties is to be seen as someone asexual. (I'm not supporting what the first assistant did, sexual harassment is sexual harassment.)

Not to mention that Fate shits all over her own gender repeatedly.
You told me you didn’t know if you could offer me more than this weekend and I’ve told you repeatedly that I’m okay with that. I know it’s not the typical female response

Wonderful people, huh?

But hey, unlikable character aren't the end of the world (or a book). Although, it's clear these aren't supposed to be thatunlikable. Usually it's the plot that makes up for that, but inFalling for Fate, that's not the case. The plot is basically Dean and Fate tiptoeing around each other when all they really want to do is jump each other. There's nothing of substance that could be mistaken for a plot. Instead it's raging hormones, Dean obsessing over Fate's taken virginity, and Fate going back and forth like a swing. Which isn't enough to carry a book.