Masquerade by Nyrae Dawn

Masquerade  - Nyrae Dawn

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Tropes: 13

Bee is so different from any girl I know, that even something as simple as rolling her eyes is too ordinary for her.

Masquerade, is without a doubt, the weakest book in this series. This story deals with Maddox and Bee. The former is the brother of the heroine in the second book. Maddox is haunted by his family's past with his father's killing a boy and his mother loathing her daughter. Maddox is full of guilt for the part he believes he plays in how everything played out, and his current goal is to make sure their mother doesn't hurt his sister (emotionally). Bee is a bit lost too. Her past involves a kidnapping and now having returned to her biological parents. Both Maddox and Bee are reluctant to let people into their lives, but after a night together their paths starts to cross.

It was the second books biggest issue, and it's the same here: the pasts of the main characters aren't handled with sensitivity, and instead of exploring the psychological consequences and dealing with them, it's another case of letting love save the day. When they meet, Bee and Maddox immediately sense in each other that the other is suffering from some dark past. Why? No idea, but they do. Which is what the rest of their relationship will be based on as they grow closer. There's nothing beyond that to connect these characters, and this is not enough explain their attraction to each other when they usually are so keen on pushing people away.

In terms of plot, there is none. And if there ever was one, it got lost in bad writing. Because that's what's most memorable about this book; how bad the writing was. It's full of repetition, of awkward phrasings, uneven pacing, and some grammatical errors. With all the strange writing going on, it's hard to connect to either the characters or the story.

And, since this is New Adult, let's not forget this particular part.

It’s not that I’ve slept with a ton of guys. But I’ve never been an angel either. It’s not something that has ever bothered me but I don’t want Maddox to think I sleep around. Why does it matter? There’s nothing wrong with safely enjoying my sexuality.
“It’s like you said the first night, there’s nothing wrong with a woman knowing what she wants. And I can tell you’re not the type of person to sleep with everyone you meet.”

Bee is right; there is nothing wrong with enjoying her sexuality. Which is why her, a confident woman, thinking like this is just awkward. It just enforces the notion that women should be ashamed for having sex, which theyshould not. Honestly, I wished that particular paragraph should've been edited out, because it changed Bee's entire character (for the worse). And then we have Maddox reaction. It shouldn't matter if she did sleep with every person she met. So yeah, this kinda ruined his character too. These two paragraphs did a fine job changing the main characters' personas quickly.