Finding You by Elizabeth Lee

Finding You - Elizabeth   Lee

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Tropes: 16

Finding You did not live up to my expectations. Which, honestly, is my own fault. I should've read the blurb, not just skimmed it. I expected Finding You to be about Mallory searching, and finding, her long lost father. The story opens up with her doing just that; she goes to look for his dad and when she finds him, she doesn't reveal who she is because she already had one fake father walk out on her, and now she wants to be sure this one is worth keeping. So she hides the fact that she's his daughter, and in the meanwhile meets Everett Boone, or just Boone as he's called. From here on it's all about Mallory and Boone, and the story line about getting to know her father is forgotten in favor for the forced relationship between Mallory and Boone.

I'd hoped this would be more about Mallory and her father rather than what it was. I still wish that, because instead of a story about a young woman finding herself, Finding You is just another contemporary romance with little depth. The sexual chemistry between the main characters is forced to the extreme, and when there's attempts at adding some emotional depth to their relationship, it's shallow. It's them bonding over their pasts, but instead of becoming an emotional moment it falls flat as the heavy topics in their past aren't dealt with in a way they require. Another round of editing would've done wonders for this.

Then there's the slutshaming. The hero at one point admits that if Mallory had been the type who drinks, parties, and sleeps with strangers, he wouldn't be interested in her. (Personally, I felt as if the sleeping around part was most important to this statement, not the drinking and partying.) And at one point, a woman hits on the hero, and the heroine finds it necessary to point out that the woman is half-dressed and is "nasty". All of these small tidbits together doesn't paint a pretty picture of our main characters and how they view other women.

Together, this story was underdeveloped and needed another round of editing as well as a clearer plot.