Glass Hearts by Lisa De Jong

Glass Hearts - Lisa De Jong

Tropes: 19

It’s a little black strapless dress that barely covers her ass. If I show up at the bar in anything like that, Dane will kill me after he drags me home and covers me up so no one else can see me.

Does this sound healthy to you? If the answer is yes, then this book will be right up your alley. However, if you find Dane's obsessive need to dictate what his girlfriend can and can't wear as well as Alex's reaction to it disturbing, this will not be your new favorite book.

I wasn't sure what Glass Hearts would be offering. The first book, which I read years ago, was fine. At least that's how I remember it. Maybe Dane was as possessive and creepy in it but I didn't see it. Either way, I'd hoped this book would offer some insight to his family and background. Alex's overbearing parents weren't exactly interesting in the first book, but Dane's past intrugied me. So when the first book ended on a cliffhanger, I was all for reading the second in hopes of learning more about Dane.

Did this book offer that? Yes, to a short extent. Dane's family plays a bigger role in the second book, but at the same time, it didn't get the attention it deserved. There is serious tension in the relationship between Dane and his brother as well as both their respective relationships to their mother. This should have been the main focus of the book, not Dane and Alex's mundane struggles.

I've mentioned Dane's character a little, his possessive behavior. I did not mention the fact that he considers it his right to dictate what his girlfriend wears, even in her own home. He's turned into the standard New Adult hero, fully equipped with a dose of sexism, aggressiveness, and a penchant for violence. Boring. Recycled.

A disappointment, to say the least.