The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa

The Forever Song - Julie Kagawa
“Oh, isn’t that sweet,” came Jackal’s loud, mocking voice... “Let’s make goo-goo eyes at each other in the middle of a stinking corpse field, how very romantic.”

Is this the time where I say I'm disappointed? I am. The Forever Song disappointed me much in the same way End of Days was a disappointment. I loved the main character in both series. Penryn for how she handled her moral struggles, much the same way Allison does in this series. But, just likeEnd of Days, the last installment took the best part and threw it under the bus.

The Forever Song takes off with Allison, Kanin, and Jackal heading for Eden to find Sarren before he can unleash a new virus that will take out the entire population. While the first two book focused on Allison coming to terms with being a monster, this one was all about teenage angst. But let's hold for a minute and take a look on what this book offers.

Here's what happens: Allison and Jackal bicker. Kanin tells them to behave. They continue on their stroll from hell. They encounter one of Sarren's traps. They fight some guys. They continue their stroll. Allison and Jackal bicker. And the circle repeats. And even though I live for Jackal's sarcasm, it would've been nice to have a plot, you know. They reach Eden. They fight Sarren. The (cheesy) end.

Okay, there are some more twists, but all of them are obvious. The previous book's ending made it quite clear what would happen. So when that particular twist happens, it surprises no one. It certainly shouldn't surprise Kanin and Allison as much as it did. This is a small spoiler, but as I said, if you've read the second book, this one anyone can see coming a mile away.

The big plot twist around the middle of the book is: Zeke returns! Anyone surprised? No. Here is where The Forever Song took Allison's interesting character and smashed it to pieces. Because what's more important, saving the world or angsting with your depressed emo boyfriend? Hint: it shouldbe the former.

What happens after this particular twist? Nothing new. They continue toward Eden. More bickering. Jackal being freaking awesome. Kanin sighing. And so it goes.

It's not that this book is bad, not in particular. But there is no surprise, no big twist, and way too much angst from Allison and Zeke. And if I ever hear Allison whine about being a monster one more time, I'll make her swallow her katana.