World After by Susan Ee

World After - Susan Ee

Second Book Syndrome

That's how I feel right now. In World After, the sequel toAngelfall, we once again meet Penryn and how she's trying to survive. She's reunited with her family, but Raffe is gone. The sequel picks up where the first installment left off, with Penryn back with the Resistance. But things play out and we're back to searching for Paige, Penryn's sister, again. And that's all I will say on the plot.

I'll be honest, this book didn't do much for me. More or less everything that happened felt like fillers. Nothing of real substance that will add to this overall story. Maybe I'm wrong and what happens in this book will have a greater impact on what's to come in the third and last book of this trilogy. Or maybe I wanted a different plot that didn't center around searching for Paige, again. That said, this is far from a bad book. Susan Ee is clearly a good writer. She has a way of balancing the gritty with humor. And Penryn was a delight to read about. She's fierce and strong. Making questionable decisions, sure, but this is the apocalypse. It's surviving or dying and in the face of that, she's doomed to make tough decisions.

The only thing I'm irked with is, actually, Raffe. Not his general character (although I will comment on that too, soon), but rather how obsessed Penryn is with describing him. Whenever she sees or pictures him, it's Adonis this and Adonis that. It's how out of this world hot he is. To be honest, I'm quite glad he was in this book as little as he was because I don't think I could've done with Penryn swooning/drooling over him for an entire book. His hotness was shoved down the reader's throat repeatedly. Maybe so you wouldn't forget in his absence this impossibly important aspect of his character? Maybe I needed the reminder, because I can't quite recall his personality. Things didn't get better when he sprouts of this line:

“I miss the days when females could be ordered around and they’d have no choice.”

Dude, you don't even joke about that. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt though. Hopefully this won't be common lines from him in the last installment.

Overall a decent read, but reads mostly like a filler to get to the last book.