True by Erin McCarthy

True - Erin McCarthy

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Items ticked off: 16

True was a New Adult book I looked forward to. Why? Well, several of my friends loved it. Many of my friends respect and like this author. I'd heard this was different from the usual New Adult book. I'd heard so many things about this, people claiming it would be different from my previous experience with the New Adult genre.

To all my friends who liked this: sorry, but I'm the black sheep once again.

True did not sit well with me. At what point did my interest dwindle? At 5%, when our hero tells the heroine that she can do better than the guy that tried to rape her. May I also mention he says this about five minutes after the attempted rape? I tried to keep an open mind; surely he had a reason for talking to the heroine this way. Something, anything to rationalize him talking about her attempted rape like you'd talk about the weather. But no. He continues that being with Grant (the almost rapist), she would be "wasting her virginity" and then continue with questions like, are you really a virgin.

I mean seriously.

Could you possibly trivialize an attempted rape more?

It didn't help that this book did not portray the emotional aftermath of an attempted rape in the least, what with our heroine talking with the almost rapist a few weeks later. Once again, rape was used as a plot device, very much alike many other New Adult stories.

Anyway, after that disturbing scene, our heroine, Rory and our hero, Tyler, start to hang out. Okay, they are actually helping each other study, and soon Rory starts to grow feelings for the guy. Needless to say, Tyler never managed to win me over after the opening scenes. That said, I did feel for him in some measure as his childhood was anything but sunshine. I felt for him on that part, but not much else.

And Rory. I so badly wanted to like her. She was a science geek, devoted student, and a bit socially awkward. First of all: if you're going to write a heroine that's interested in science you need to know elementary science.

Which never made any particular sense to me since electrons were composed of multiple atoms.

There's no good excuse for why this is in the story. So, basically, we have a heroine who claims to be a science geek but she doesn't even know what atoms and electrons are. This is where you use the fail hashtag. Not to mention that Rory needed to get off her high horse once or twice. In conclusion: I did not in particularly care for Rory. I didn't dislike her, but I didn't love her either.

In terms of plot, I'm ready to admit it wasn't exactly like every other NA story out there, but there's manufactured drama in the end that could've been left out (or changed for something else). Tyler's family must have been the most interesting thing in this entire story. Rory's family... I struggled with. Not because they were a bad bunch or anything, but because they are all supposed to be scientists and the portrayal of, what should we say, smart people irked me. Rory's father is a chemical engineer and her aunt has a Ph.D in physics, so basically they are a family of smart people. And all of them are described as incapable of function normally in a social setting. They are all pale and uncoordinated. They are all the ultimate stereotypical geek. Not everyone with a degree in science, be it physics or chemistry or what else, is asocial and incapable of performing in sports. So yeah, it's a big pet peeve of mine.

All in all, I'm ready to admit at parts this is better than the average New Adult story, but that's as far as I'm willing to go.