Reading progress update: I've read 11%.

Sometimes Never  - Cheryl McIntyre

It occurs to me that I keep comparing her to other girls. But she’s not like any girl I’ve ever met before.

photo giphy_zpsuzrpypze.gif
I don't know if the author went for provocative with this opening; rape, homophobia, sexism, cutting, slutshaming, a mother who died in a car accident (and said mother happened to be an alcoholic and a drug addict), violence, and a lot more, but it comes off as insensitive given all these heavy topics. I stand firm on my statement that New Adult books (and authors) try to outdo each other when it comes to the amount of tragedy in these stories.

And we have a bit of instalove. So this guy, our hero, sees a girl beat the shit out of a guy when he arrives at school, and he's in love. I'm not kidding. He even tells his mother this when he comes home the same day. That he's in love. Again, not kidding.

Then we have our heroine (who, by the way, isn't supposed to be likable). Who is this rough, angry and bitter, and cynical person who doesn't give a shit about other people's feelings. She even calls a girl that has just been raped a slut, I mean, what the actual fuck?! Anyway, the point I wanted to make is that she goes from all that to:

I am not one of those girls, the kind that get all flirty and giggly over every cute boy that walks by. But my stomach instantly fills with butterflies on speed and I feel giddy and nervous at the same time.

And we have our hero, the instalove winner. Who's the love 'em and leave 'em type. Goes from never having been attached to a woman before to:

I can’t remember ever being jealous of another guy before. But as I stand here watching Park, with his hands on Hope’s waist, kissing her, I kind of want to put my fist through his face.

Because this girl, whose presence he's been in for about an hour all their meetings combined, is so special (see quote at the top).

I have a feeling this isn't going to end well. For me.