Carrier by Anne Tibbets

Carrier - Anne Tibbets

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Items ticked off: 7

Many of my friends have complained that in young adult (and new adult) science fiction and fantasy is no longer sci-fi/fantasy with a bit of romance, but romance with a bit of sci-fi/fantasy. I couldn't agree more. Which is why Carrier was such a pleasant surprise!

Carrier opens strong with our heroine, Naya, is a prostitute in a dystopian society where the state owns everything. It owns the companies. It owns the money. It quite literally owns every single thing you can see, and indirectly, the humans. Back to our heroine. She was dropped of at The Line. Here girls (only, I think?) are hired (not really, more like forced) for many reasons. Economic ones, to mention one. Then they're there, working as prostitutes. And this is where we meet heroine, who is one of them.But then she is forced to find a replacement for hersince; a, her contract's run out, and b, she's pregnant. But after certain events, maybe there's more going on behind closed doors.

Color me intrigued.

Naya was an wonderful character. Not wonderful in the sense that she's perfect or likable all the time, but she was so complex. Even after everything she'd been through, she was still a fighter. Sure, a lot of the events that happened were carried out by other people than her, so the suspense was never really that prominent, but if we focus solely on Naya? Yeah, I liked her. Like, a lot.

And as I mentioned, there's some romance. And when I say some, I mean not much. Enough for it to not override the actual plot (can I get a hallelujah?). Although some details that were meant to be big surprises weren't really. I must say, the plot was good at times, and at other, not so much. In general though, interesting enough to keep my attention up. (I finished this in about one day, which is to say a lot because it was during a period where my classload was gigantic.)

The biggest issue (okay, more like the only real issue) for me was that the secondary characters (love interest included) weren't fleshed out enough. Okay, and another issue was that for once the book was too short. A lot of questions are left unanswered. Deliberately done so or not, I can't say. Either way, I would've appreciated a bit more details on the government. As it is, it's about the system as a whole, not about the people in the system. So yeah, those are my two complains, which aren't that huge after all. Not when there's a sequel that might answer a lot of my questions. Now I just have to find time to actually read the sequel.