Last Second Chance by Caisey Quinn

Last Second Chance - Caisey Quinn

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Items ticked off: 24

Here's what I expected of Last Second Chance: A story about a smart woman who gets her first real job, takes it seriously, and helps the people at the rehab facility she works at. Since the rehab facility is mainly for famous people, a lead singer of a band, Van, checks in after nearly dying after playing a little too hard with drugs. I expected them to grow closer as he struggled with his addiction. I expected some forbidden romance between the two of them. And of course some drama with media and whatnot given that he is a famous rock star.

Here's what I got: A woman who's supposedly bright is willing to risk her first real job for some hot sex the moment when she bounces into a hot rocker who's about as charming as a worm. Apart from that, what story was there? Well, not much. Van, our hero, doesn't struggle with his addiction. In truth, everything about therapy and his recovery seemed forced and unrealistic. Also, there wasn't really much of it in the book. The story is mainly Van whining about how Stella (heroine) is too good for him, and Stella worrying about how Van might be playing with her. Then they have sex, and they aren't secretive about it either. Our heroine is supposed to be bright, but she turns into a blushing and immature schoolgirl the second she sees Van.

Let me introduce you to Van, our hero.

He wasn’t the kind of man who had those thoughts. His thoughts about women were limited to Yes, I’d like to fuck that one and No, I would not like to fuck that one.

Charming, huh? Guess what he turns into after meeting the heroine once (and barely speaking to her, I must add):

She was the first woman he’d ever hated on sight. Because one look at her and he knew. Knew everything he’d ever done was sick and wrong and made him the kind of man who would never be good enough. But when she looked back at him with those gleaming emerald eyes wide with surprise and darkening with need, none of that mattered. Because he damn sure felt the overwhelming desire to try to be. Like his fucking life depended on it.

If this is what passes as romance these days...

I said it before, but Stella is TSTL. She gets her first real job and is willing to jeopardize it for a round in the sack? And she's judgmental (most of the characters are) and generally thinks she's better than the rest. Like, she's judging all other women that are hired at the facility for flirting with Van, but she's the one who's actually got into his pants and that's okay? I don't get her logic. At all. She was just all over the place, and not in a good way.

I should comment on the plot, but there wasn't really one. Sure, there's drama in Van's past and some crazy ex-girlfriend - what New Adult story doesn't have one of those?- but generally speaking, the story is mainly their lust/love for each other. And Van whining over how beautiful Stella is and how he doesn't deserve him. Then there's Stella's past that is just forced to the extreme. I've read too many New Adult stories to be satisfied by a plot focused on lust and some forced backstories. I'm still waiting for a New Adult story with substance. Sadly, this didn't have that.