Wicked Innocence by Missy Johnson

Wicked Innocence - Missy Johnson

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Items ticked off: 17

Too often when I read New Adult I'm left with rage. That's not even an understatement, unfortunately. Those are easy to review. I'm yet to find a NA story that sweeps me off my feet, so I don't know what it's like to review those. No, the hardest books (at least in New Adult) are the ones that doesn't leave an impression. Neither good nor bad. Because what am I supposed to say except for that fact that they were so bland nothing stood out?

In the case of Wicked Innocence I guess I can say disappointment is the one feeling that stood out. I mean, look at that cover. It promises something outside the usual New Adult story with a macho-macho male and a female that needs a little rescuing. The cover indicates a confident woman. I expected that. Did I get that? Not even close.

We have Micah who's sort of on the run. She ran away from her less than stellar mom after a family tragedy. Now she's got a fake ID, a decent job, and is comfortable in her own skin. She's gone through a tough life and is now doing okay on her own. She's got some sass and isn't the usual naive girl that I associate with New Adult. Anyway, so Micah is trying out for a spot as the lead singer of an up an coming band. It turns out the band's manager is Saxon Waite, the ex-king of rock, but he's been off the radar the past years. So what happens when they meet?

Micah goes blushing schoolgirl.

I expected more than that. Unfortunately, Micah only has eyes for Saxon after the moment they meet, and he is the same. Micah's supposed confident character is gone, more alike the usual heroines of New Adult. You know, only has eyes for the hero and vice versa. Their lust becomes the main focus of the story, and that is never something good in my book, but I went with it. Unfortunately that is all there is to this story. Yes, there is some backstory to both Micah and Saxon that is supposed to evoke emotions in the reader, but the focus on their lust rather than their personalities causes the absence of said emotions. What chances the story had for characterization are lost. The author presents instances where the characters need to grow, but the process of that change is skipped. For example: Micah is faced with someone from her past that left a great impact on her, and she doesn't want to confront this person. But then, on the next page, it's three days later and she's decided to meet him. Why? What went through her mind to make her come to that decisions? What mechanisms played in? I don't know, because that author skipped that internal monologue that I required to understand Micah's character. The same goes for Saxon. The pieces that are presented isn't enough to give him a solid personality outside his lust for Micah.

In the end, the story is all right. Nothing unique, really, but all right. But it's just going through the motions, not digging into the good stuff. Did I like it? No. Did I dislike it? No. It was just... meh.

Let's just end this by saying the story doesn't match the cover, neither does it do it justice.