Owning Violet by Monica Murphy

Owning Violet - Monica  Murphy

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Items ticked off: 23

So I've spent the last hour or so trying to find the perfect fuck you gif. Obviously, my search was not successful. I considered using a dozen different gifs and put them together in a longer, new, gif. I don't have the time or the ability to do that, so I'll just get on with this review. The reason for my search was for a better visual of my reaction to a certain conversation. It's between our main characters, Violet and Ryder. Basically, she's creating a new product, he is working on marketing it. Ryder is (partly) talking about the model they used for the shot.

“She reminded me of you.”
“How?”
“She looks like you. The dark hair, the dark eyes, and her sad expression. She looks frightened.”
“He looks like he wants to own her.”
“Doesn’t every man want to own a beautiful woman? Or at the very least, take care of her?”
“You make her sound like a possession.”
“Is there anything wrong with a man wanting to possess a woman?”
“Yes, if he’s controlling.”
“But what if she likes it? What if she wants to be possessed?”

*insert fuck you gif*

I don't know what's worse, the rape culture or the blatant misogyny. Early in the conversation they established that the woman in the picture is frightened, but given that Ryder dismisses that remark it's apparently more important that the man is able to possess her. His little "what if she likes it" at the end makes it all worse. They established that she is frightened. *deep breath* Moving on. I don't care if it's BDSM or some kink or whatever you call it, you never consider a woman (or a human being) a possession. If you do like that kind of play, go ahead. I'm all for supporting that, but Ryder does several times seem to consider people possessions (and not in the sexual/BDSM) kind of way. And to my third point, can I have a single New Adult book not reinforce the "heterosexuality is the default setting" idea? Not all men will want a woman. And even those who do, not all will want to be the one to take care of the woman. Some will be perfectly happy being the one being taken care of.

There. Sorry for rant about a single conversation, but I don't have much to say about the book itself. It's Keeping up with the Kardashians/Fifty Shades/Cruel Intention. Bad combination, if you ask me. Violet is floating by with the help of her father being CEO of a big cosmetic company. Ryder wants to use Violet, and he's up there on asshole level with Christian Grey.

I think I made it clear from the beginning that I did not like this book. Ryder is too much of an asshole. (Authors, please remember that there's a difference between a bad boy and a complete asshole.) Violet is bland, boring, and a pushover throughout the entire book. She also has a tragic past that didn't add much (read:anything) to the story. The way it was introduced/presented was troublesome. The pacing is way off. 90% lust and dragged out to the extreme. The ending was anti-climatic and left a lot of loose ends. And let's not forget the endless shaming. There was slut-shaming and virgin-shaming. Or the way the only character of color was described as "exotic".

In conclusion, Owning Violet isn't anything new when it comes to New Adult. Sadly, it's not even the worst. That doesn't say much though, when it comes to this genre. Sadly. Oh well, off to a new, and hopefully better, book.