Sweet Home by Tillie Cole

Sweet Home - Tillie Cole

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Items ticked off: 26

One day, my sweet girl, some lucky young man will come and help you understand the very meaning of love. He will sweep you off your feet and show you what it is to place your heart in someone else’s care and to willingly offer them the gift of your soul—and he will own it completely.

Sweet Home is hilarious in the worst possible way. Like, the most important thing Molly's father tells her in his suicide note(!) is that (as seen above) some man will show her love and own her. Yeah. That's what you say in your suicide not to a kid.Don't think so.

I don't know if Sweet Home is supposed to be some sort or retelling of Romeo and Juliet (the characters are named after these two star-crossed lovers, and you'll never hear the end of that). There's family drama and corny scenes where Romeo - yes, hero's name is Romeo - climbs up to her balcony, but there's where the similarities end. Basically, what Sweet Home is about is two morons that think they're in love. One of them might be (he), but the other one is in a most unhealthy relationship. As I read, I kept a tag open with a list of red flags in a relationship. Romeo, our love interest shows 12 out of the 22 signs. That's a clear sign this is not a healthy relationship. Not to mention that Molly (the heroine) makes excuses for Romeo's violent behavior, and downplays her own fear for him at times.

Please, explain how this is meant to be a romantic story.

Okay, but while the comments/updates I've done on this book were filled with pure rage, I couldn't stop laughing. Because really, I can't take a single thing about this story seriously. The characters, caricatures. The plot, cliché. The writing, boring. (The author tried to write accent, and did not succeed. Taking off every 'g' on words ending on -ing does not mean you're doing accent right. Neither is adding ain't all the time.) The sex-scenes? Meh. So I laughed. A lot. It was just too much. Romeo growling whenever a dude so much as glanced at Molly? Laugh. Molly, a chick who forgets that you can get STIs even when you're on the pill, going for a PhD in philosophy? Hilarious. I'm still not sure if Sweet Home is supposed to be serious or not, but I doubt it.

Not even the author seemed to take it serious. I'm leaving the details for people who lives in Alabama and has intimate knowledge of the area, but even I spotted so many errors in details it wasn't funny. So many details could've been found by a quick google search (such as tryouts dates for cheerleading squads, accents, american football). I miss the days when research for a book wasn't optional. Clearly, the author did close to none. Sweet Home is a prime example why you should write what you know. More or less every scene reads like it's from an american sitcom with no real knowledge of the culture and area. To be honest, even I was embarrassed at times for the lack of research done.

I don't have more to say. This sucked. It's that simple.