Virtuell våldtäkt by Caroline Engvall

Virtuell våldtäkt : om unga och sexbilder på nätet - Caroline Engvall

Virtuell våldtäkt (Virtual Rape; my translation) is one of those books you don't want to read but feel compelled to. In this book Engvall uncover the stories behind young people who expose themselves on the internet by uploading sexually loaded pictures and/or videos. She tells the stories of these young people without putting blame or judging them. She simply tell their stories with their own words and a few additions.

It is more than just a collection of stories, though. While each story is different and unique, there is more than that. Engvall examines a few big cases where pictures of young people have found their way to the internet and hurts the people involved. Such as the Instagram account where two young girls uploaded pictures and texts on their classmates. This caused a riot in the school with police coming in to settle it. An innocent girl was believed to be behind the account, and she received death threats and had to relocate to an unknown place during the time. Through this case, Engvall goes deeper into the legal aspects of harassing people on the internet, blackmailing them with pictures, etc.. But, as we can see, the police is close to unable to do a single thing due to deficient laws regarding this matter.

Engvall is a talented writer, that is for sure. She handles each individual story with care. The stories we're allowed to come in touch with through this book are horrid, heartbreaking, and most importantly, eye-opening. Young people's exposing themselves on the internet is something that need to be discussed more, as well as the laws regarding it. However,Virtuell våldtäkt is just scratching the surface. Which is understandable when it comes to the individuals' stories, but I would've preferred if Engvall dug deeper into the legal aspects and the social aspects of it. Basically, I wanted to see more of most of it. As it is, it's just the surface and I'd rather see what's beneath that. Not to mention Engvall keeps her research to Swedish cases, when, as is shown, this is a global phenomenon/issue. There could've been more information on other countries' take on this matter, or how it all ties together.

Overall, this is a good book. A book people should read to better understand what motivates young people to take the risk of exposing themselves on the internet, both women and men.