Wait for You by J. Lynn

Wait for You  -  Jennifer L. Armentrout, J. Lynn

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Items ticked off: 23

If I can say one thing about Wait for You, it's that it's lacking in originality. That in itself might not be disturbing, but knowing that J. Lynn is also Jennifer Armentrout, it doesn't sit well with me. First off, I've read Armentrout's Obsidian, which held too many similarities with several young adult book in that genre (Twilight, especially). I've followed the Vampire Academy vsCovenant debate and find Covenant to have too many similarities to the former mentioned work of Richelle Mead. Recently I read Frigid which in itself was an endless row of clichés, and it too lacked in originality. While reading Wait for You I had the same sense of déjà vu. Constantly I found myself recalling works of Jessica Sorensen (The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden) and Jamie McGuire (Beautiful Disaster). This phenomenon in itself is quite disturbing to me, and I do not want to accuse anyone of plagiarism. All I am saying is that, after reading those stories, this one didn't hold much originality.

Mostly it's the themes that reappeared and was very similar. But that's understandable beaus those themes have been recycled in New Adult for a long time now, and they have almost become basic elements for a story in this genre. The tragic past (especially this specific theme), the reformed bad boy, the virgin(al) heroine, the commitment/trust issues, the gay best friend, "slutty mean girl". All of that.

I'm so over that. I was over it the gay best friend Jacob comes in and his first sentence is so stereotypical. I knew from that moment that this one wasn't going to be that much deeper than what the blurb gave away. Jacob continued being the stereotypical gay male. Cameron Hamilton entered and was God's gift to mankind in his overconfident and arrogant persona. Given, Cam is a lot better than most NA heroes, but he's still such a stereotype and I couldn't take him seriously half the time. And Avery... I don't want to go into a long debate on how her past and her reactions to it, or the way she saw it in the present. Believable? Not so much, not by the way it was handled in the beginning. Last but not least, and I already mentioned one of them, Avery's best friends, Jacob and Brit. I swear, the one and only reason they were in the story at all was so they could gush and explain to Avery why Cam was perfect in every single way. They didn't get more substance than that.

Apart from that, I didn't like the writing. I mean, it was lazy. In the first chapter, the heroine runs into the hero. The heroine states her features while looking at herself in a mirror. Cam's "So we meet again" and "We must stop meeting this way". Honestly, so much of it was just lazy writing.

But what really pissed me off, in the end, was Cam. And he'd just won me over when he goes and ruins it all by saying this:

“I was depressed. I was pissed off at myself and the world and all that bullshit."

I said it in an update, and I say it again here. Depression is notbeing pissed off at myself and the world. It's not and all that bullshit. Trust me, I've been there. Depression is not being pissed at people or things or the world, okay? It's an endless stretch of nothing. Hell, you're not even necessarily sad. It's nothing. It's like a dark hole you can't get out of. It's like standing inside a box of glass, looking out at the world and just standing there in your little box, not being able to participate. It's going through motions (sometimes not even that). It's not having the energy to care. You're just there, in the middle of it, yet on the outside. But, there's one thing you're not. And that is pissed off. Sorry for rambling, but this phrasing did piss me off. It's downright insensitive, bordering on ignorant. Don't get me wrong, I can see why Cam would've been depressed. I get that. But it's when depression is portrayed this way it fucks with my head, not to mention my emotions.

There, I got the last rant out of my head. I'll leave it at that. Instead of ending on that sour note, I'll say this. Wait for You is better than other New Adult books in some aspects. It could've been great, it almost was, but I wished some more sensitivity had been put into the whole thing.