Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Hopeless - Colleen Hoover

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Items ticked off: 19* (20)

I don't think I have much to say about Hopeless that hasn't already been said (and very well, too). Hoover obviously knows how to put together a sentence, but I don't like what she writes.Hopeless was one of those books that I put on hold for my New Adult Project, because I more or less knew what I was in for. It turned out I wasn't prepared for the slut-shaming, trivializing at parts, and generally dangerous message it sends out to young women. I'll just go ahead with what bothered me.

Despite what this may look like, I am not a slut.

The obsession with "sluts". The word alone almost 15 times. It's almost an obsession how Sky is so "unslutty" in comparison to other women. Sky herself judges other woman so quickly it sickened me. She sees a blonde woman and she immediately considers her dumb. Apart from Sky, the book in general makes all the women that isn't part of Sky's social circle (which is limited mainly to boys) evil bitches.

Six and I have analyzed my lack of physical response to guys many times in the past. For a while she suspected I might be gay.

Trivializing sexual preferences.

His pants are black and tight and very figure flattering...if he were a girl. Instead, the pants just accentuate the frailty of his frame.

Why can't they be figure flattering even if he is a boy? I don't know what to call this, but I don't like it. He could've been wearing a skirt and she shouldn't have a say in it. Everyone's entitled to their own decisions.

He’s beautiful. Not beautiful in the pretty-boy sense. Or even in the tough-guy sense. Just a perfect mixture of in-between. Not too big, but not at all small. Not too rough, not too perfect.

This writing. Seriously? What are we even talking about here.

"His smile immediately fades and he cocks his head. An inquisitive look enters his eyes and he slowly shakes his head, either in disbelief or...disgust? I can’t put my finger on it, but it’s certainly not a pleasant reaction. I glance around, hoping I’m not the recipient of his displeasure. When I turn back to look at him, he’s still staring.

Twilight is contagious, apparently. In all seriousness, it's this theme that bothers me. That he can get away with anything due to his hotness (see previous quote).

My instinct is telling me to run and scream, but my body wants to wrap itself around his glistening, sweaty arms.

Continuation of the theme that he can get away with anything because of his hotness.

There are more of this, but I don't have the energy to spend. If we look at the twist in the end, without spoiling anything... I didn't like it. It explains some of Holder's actions, but it doesn't justify them. Stalking is stalking. Creepy is creepy. Personally, I find the whole execution trivializing of such heavy subjects given that we don't see Sky tackle everything, and what little she does I find done too quickly. Not to mention the question had she been doing so well had Holder not been there? That just brings another disturbing angle on the story, for me. That he's the one that "cures" her. So, personally, I thought everything was resolved a little too easily. Especially Sky's father's destiny. That should've taken up a bigger part of the story since *minor spoiler* a cop committing suicide will be all over the news, not swept under the rug.

I see what the author attempted to do, but the execution didn't work. The message it sends isn't good, it's dangerous. I didn't in particular like the characters, although Sky did grow on me. I didn't like the constant slutshaming. I simply did not like it. End of story.

* I removed one of the tropes due to the fact that

Sky technically isn't a virgin. However, she did for most of the story believe that she was, so that might qualify her to being one, in some people's eyes. Therefore I removed that trope from the general score, but for those who wants to count it as one can use the score within the parenthesis.

(show spoiler)