Frigid by J. Lynn

Frigid - J. Lynn

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Items ticked off: 16

If you're looking for characters that are dumber than stew, look no further. If you're looking for a heroine who studies psychology (and is planning to go for a doctorate) but who still doesn't have a clue on how people works, look no further. If you're looking for a hero that is stuck somewhere between the fourteenth and the seventeenth century, look no further. If you're looking for a plot that's been done since the beginning of time, look no further.

I honestly have very little to say about Frigid. Especially good things. But I'll give you this, J. Lynn knows how to write. Her style is breezy and easy to read. That, however, is the extent of good things that come from this story.

Here's what we have: two supposedly best friends, Kyler and Sydney. They have known each other since forever, we're told. But, of course, Sydney is unable to resist her godlike best friend. The entire first page is devoted to explain how hot Kyler is. It's abs up and down the walls. Dimples as deep as the oceans. You get it. Then again, Kyler is sleeping with anything that moves, and Sydney has learned to deal with seeing him with other women while she's busy staying away from relationships. Given that Kyler threatens to more or less punch any guy looking too long at her, I'd say it's not surprising why that is. But when they go for their annual ski trip, the storm of the century hits them and they are snowed in. After Sydney gets drunk and makes a move on Kyler, they both must face their feelings toward each other. Sounds familiar? It is. Nothing new about it at all. More or less every line these characters express is predictable.

I can deal with a recycled plot if the execution and characters are developed well enough. Sadly, neither Kyler nor Sydney have more substance than cotton candy. They are bland, end of story. Kyler is your typical aggressive, possessive, god's-gift-to-women (or whatever). Sydney's your innocent, "untouchable", sweet heroine who can't make a decision if so her life depended on it (which it actually does in this story). And since this story is based on the relationship between them, telling the reader how close and inseparable they are, the story falls flat. Why? Because everything they do indicates that they know shit about each other. They constantly misunderstand each other, they don't trust each other worth a damn, and they are unable to communicate the way I'd expect two best friends would. Apart from that, Sydney is constantly judging Kyler for his sexual activities. (She judges any woman that comes within twenty feet of Kyler as well, but that's another story.)

I never cared for these characters. There's no substance to them or to the plot. Everything was way too predictable, even the ending. Heck, I called the twist about 20% in. By that point I just wanted to get it over with. And really, when people are more concerned about what position they should be doing it in when there's a lunatic that's trying to freeze them to death, I simple can't give a shit anymore.