People need to learn when to stop

Grey - E.L. James

Waking up to headlines such as this one: EL James to publish new book told from Christian's POV can only result in one reaction on my part.

description

Why?

1. Because I can see this go two ways. In the first, James has taken in the (actual) critique, both on writing and on Christian's abusive behavior. But, since she's already written his actions, she'll have to try and justify his actions by his own words/dreams/thoughts. Which is ridiculous, because you can't justify stalking, violence, and completely disregard for how an actual BDSM relationship works. That's one way, the other is that she doesn't give a shit about that and write Christian as the psychopath that he is while simultaneously trying to romanticize him/his actions.

2. Because this is actually the blurb. "In Christian's own words, and through his thoughts, reflections, and dreams, E L James offers a fresh perspective on the love story that has enthralled millions of readers around the world. (...) Will being with Ana dispel the horrors of his childhood that haunt Christian every night? Or will his dark sexual desires, his compulsion to control, and the self-loathing that fills his soul drive this girl away and destroy the fragile hope she offers him?"

The blurb alone is already going for the second option from my first point. In Christian's own words, and through his thoughts, reflections, and dreams. Followed up by Or will his dark sexual desires, his compulsion to control, and the self-loathing that fills his soul drive this girl away and destroy the fragile hope she offers him?. Already it sounds as if we're supposed to forgive his abusive tendencies due to his traumatic past. Here's what I think. I don't give a shit. There's enough of that in the New Adult genre to begin with. Abuse is abuse, stop trying to make it otherwise.

3. Because love story is in the blurb. This needs to stop. At best its the preface to an abusive relationship that ends in tragedy. (Don't believe me? Google for a minute on people who's been in abusive relationship and see their opinions on Christian's behavior.)

4. Because I'm not even surprised. FSoG is originally fanfiction, and even Meyer wrote Edward's POV in Midnight Sun.

5. Because that cover. It isn't even out yet, but if this is the final cover, I can tell the quality isn't getting better with this one.

6. Because the first book already misinformed thousands of people of what BDSM looks like from the submissive's perspective. This one's going to ruin the dominants of the world by pretending Christian knows shit about what he's doing.

I could continue this list, but these were the first few thoughts that popped up when seeing this book. That said, I'll probably read this since people in my family enjoy this book and will buy it, and I'm too curious about how James will tackle (or not) the critique from the previous books. Good thing is that it'll probably take less than a chapter to determine that and I can DNF the book after that.