New Adult Project Update #2

All right, the second update. I've read a total of 55 New Adult books that are included in the statistics this time. So here we go.

In comparison with the first update, a few things have changed:

The Heroine
The same tropes are in the lead, except last time Jealousy and Damaged shared second place, and Lacking Self-Confidence / Assertiveness took third place. Otherwise, it's mostly the same.

The Hero

Exactly the same except that the percentage is higher this time.

The Past

The same placement, except that the percentage is lower this time.

Occupation/Background

Exactly the same.

Diversity/characters

The two in the lead are the same as last time, with a somewhat lower percentage. Last time the third place was taken by Alpha personalities (Male). This time it's sexual shaming.

The Plot

Ends in marriage or true love is still in the lead. Last time Break-up and "Love heals everything" were tied for number two. This time, "love heals everything" isn't in the top three, but instalove remains in third place.

As with last time, some of these high percentages are still bothersome. The damaged and jealousy, both in The Hero and The Heroine category. Those two tropes together don't match well. The percentage in The Past is a bit troubling, but then again, these tropes occur more than I'd prefer in reality, but I'm still not liking how often they occur in New Adult. I don't have much to say about the Occupation/Background category. Those are the statistics that don't bother me in the least. But the Diversity/Characters category is an entirely different story. Close to no diversity and a lot of sexual shaming (yes, I consider 55% in this case a high percentage). Last but not least, The Plot category... I don't mind happy endings, but the whole "we're gonna be together for the rest of our lives" thing when the characters are (as seen before) deeply damaged as well as very young... I'm not too happy about that. The break ups don't bother me either, but the instalove? Oh yeah. I wished that number was lower.

To sum it up, not much has changed since the last update. I try to read a variety of books: popular/unpopular, high/low average rating, new/old (publication date). I have a few books that at least are above the 2 stars rating now, and that's always a plus.

The top books based on number of tropes:

28 Tropes: Fallen Too Far by Abbi Glines