The Shock of The Fall by Nathan Filer

The Shock of the Fall - Nathan Filer

You know those movies that critics go rave about forever, and ever, and ever, and ever, but when you watch it, it's like meh? The Shock of The Fall was one of those types, but it's, well, a book. Obviously. Maybe this isn't my type of book, maybe I wasn't in the right place to read it, or for another reason out of millions of them, but I didn't love The Shock of The Fall. Nathan Filer is clearly a good writer, of that I have no doubt. Actually, the story isn't bad either, it's really good to be honest. And I kind of adored the protagonist. And I was interested in where things were going.

But... That's it. I liked it. It had some truly wonderful moments and my eyes teared a few times. So while I read it, I really did like it. However, when I put the book down and thought about it, I couldn't quite tell what made me like it or if I would have read it had I known what it would be.

So what is The Shock of The Fall? It's the story of a mentally ill young man namned Matthew. We follow how he struggles with his illness and the guilt from his dead younger brother. As his illness progresses his troubles multiply, both with himself and the people around him, especially his family.

I can't place my finger on why I didn't like this more than I did. As I said, it has wonderful moments and poignant insights on mental illness and many other topics. Yet, after reading it, I can't help be underwhelmed. Just writing this reviews is beyond frustrating since I want to say that I loved it, but at the same time I so do not. So I'll just say it like this: I liked it. It's a great book. Unfortunately, I can't say more than that.