Blue Notes by Carrie Lofty

Blue Notes - Carrie Lofty

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Items ticked off: 18

Well, color me surprised. Not necessarily because I actually liked a NA book. No, but because I liked one that is littered with the usual clichés. Who would've thought?

In truth, Blue Notes has so many clichés that I'm normally not a fan of due to how they've been incorporated in the NA genre and rarely done well. That's the difference though. Blue Notes, full with these tropes, does them well. I've been turning it over and over in my head what this book does differently from the rest NA stories and I can only come to one conclusion. The author tackle these issues with sensitivity. The protagonist's voice is intimate, genuine, and authentic.A small detail like this creates and entirely different atmosphere that the general NA story lacks.

Blue Notes focuses on Keeley and her experiences, both what she suffered through in the past, and her daily life in the present. Keeley, a piano prodigy is prefers her music, but when she meets Jude, she starts to open herself up. She overcomes her stage fright, partly on her own but also with Jude's encouragement. Together they make an unlikely pair. (Not in NA standards, but in general.) Jude has his own problems after his parents died and left him and his sister alone with him in charge of his father's company.

By that description alone, you see that parts of the story isn't exactly new. Still, it's a good story even with it's issues. I loved Keeley's journey. In comparison to other NA heroines, Keeley is one of the better ones. And Jude, despite some moments, he was also a decent guy, given the circumstances. Sure, they both had their flaws, some bigger than others, but they were real people. And that, dear people, is what makes Blue Notes take a place as one of the top ten books in my New Adult Project so far.