More Than Her by Jay McLean

More Than Her - Jay McLean

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png

Items ticked off: 18

My experience with Jay McLean's work hasn't been great. Okay, let's be honest, it's been downright bad. With both More Than This and Where the Road Takes Me I had certain... let's say issues. But they were specific issues. I found the first to be highly unrealistic and the second had too much the second had too much slut-shaming and tried to tackle too many topics at the same time, ending up a mess. I'm ready to rethink that last one. I accused Where The Road Takes Me of being messy. Had I read More Than Her before that one, I would never had made such a claim.

More Than Her was for me a messy read. First of all, this is the sequel to More Than This. It focuses on Logan from the first book, but most characters are in both books with their own additional drama. For me, who read the first book about a year ago, I wasn't sure who was who and what their story was, but I would've needed to know that to fully follow what happened in this story. While I was busy trying to remember who these characters were to each other, I also had to keep up with Logan and Amanda being introduced. To top that of, Logan and Amanda share a history, and you know what that means. Flashbacks. Yes, during the first 40% of the story, we're alternating POVs and past/present. I don't think I've been this confused since I read Kafka's work, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't the point with the flashbacks.

This is where I'm ready to say that More Than Her was messy. This is one of the few times I'm painfully aware of the structuring of a novel. Because at times, the flashbacks didn't add much. Then we were thrown back into the present, and I'd forgotten where we'd left off prior the flashbacks. This is the novel's biggest problem.

Then, because this is NA after all, let's talk about Logan. No, let me start of by saying this. I liked the heroine, Amanda, to an extent. She dares to tell Logan to fuck off and, at times, stood up for herself. I believe she deserves props for that. Now, back to Logan, our hero. He's a jerk. To be fair, on the scale of jerkiness of NA heroes, Logan is on the better end. I've certainly met worse, so to say. That doesn't change that he's... well, how do I put this...
"I don't want this."
"Well, that's not really what your body is telling me."

I don't know about you, but that's rapey to me. But feel free to make your own judgement. And that together with
I wanted my mouth on hers and I wanted it bad. For some reason, I thought it was okay to do what I did next, because I was Logan Fucking Matthews, and I was a goddamn boss. Plus—chicks loved me.

I'm going to stick with my assessment that he's rapey. When he later in the book reveals that he more or less stalked the heroine after meeting her a few times... I think you understand how I feel about this.

I'll stick with my first point though, this book's biggest problem is its structuring. It throws the reader out of what should be a natural flow and ends up a mess.