Scarred by Marie Long

Scarred: A New Adult Romance (The Anderson Brothers Series) (Volume 1) - Marie Long

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Items ticked off: 12

At this point in my New Adult Project I'm ready to weep of joy whenever I come across a NA story with a diverse set of characters. Heck, give me a story where our two main characters aren't both white kids and I'll be happy. Scarred gave me the joy of having a diverse set of characters. I'd give five stars to that alone, honestly. I want to give this book props for bringing that to the table in this genre.

That said, Scarred, while overall a decent story, lacked in other areas. Given, this is not your typical white-kids-with-tragic-past-and-oh-so-sorry-lives. It's an actual story of what it's like to be a new adult. Struggling with finances, keeping up with school, living on your own. All that. To be honest, that too was a like a fresh breath. So why only 2.5 stars, you ask? Well, first of all, this book is slow. The first half of the book is basically our hero Dominick moping around about not getting the girl he likes. The problem is not the moping hero rather how it was all presented. Dominick more or less falls for this woman, Denise, the second he meets her. If any, his obsession with her after meeting her once or twice is almost stalkerish. Add that up with that he barely knows her, and I couldn't quite buy his interest in her. All that together made the first half of his moping around after her a boring read.

So, the story moves along slowly and the development of Dominick and Denise's relationship didn't draw me in as much as it should. However, Scarred doesn't follow the standard NA formula. It has some of the clichés, but it seems to be inevitable in this genre, and those used in this one are pretty minor. I liked the author's twist on some themes and I liked Denise's character.

But we still have a problem. And it starts with Denise's character. When she's introduced, she's described as different. Different how, you ask?

This girl looks different from the ones Chris brings home every night. Hell, she looks different from some of the college girls I’ve seen in the past couple of semesters. She actually covers her assets rather than advertise them.

Yeah... She's different because she doesn't dress like other girls. She covers her "assets". This didn't sit well with me. I don't like people judging a woman by what she wears. If this woman wanted to advertise her "assets", than it's her right to do so. And even if she wore those clothes, maybe she wasn't "advertising" them. Maybe they were just what she thought looked good. Still, this wasn't my only problem.

I’ve never known a twenty-one-year-old virgin. Is she really a diamond in the rough?

Urgh. Just. Urgh. Diamond in the rough? Seriously? Like being a woman and a virgin means you're worth more than other women? Give me a break. What century is this?

Did I like Scarred? To an extent. I liked some of the themes and how they were handled, but my main issues with it were the pacing and how some things were presented.