Fighting Redemption by Kate McCarthy

Fighting Redemption - Kate  McCarthy

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png

Items ticked off: 13

For the first time since I started out on my New Adult Project I've found a NA story that I can fully support. Yes, hold onto your seats because I found a New Adult story I really liked. I know! Imagine my surprise. To be honest I have no real issues or things that didn't sit well with me that are worth mentioning. What made this a four star instead of a five star are those minor things that irked me that are solely due to pet peeves and my own personal tastes. In whole, Fighting Redemption is a great story.

Fighting Redemption takes place in Australia – yay for unusual settings! – where Finley and her brother's best friend Ryan reunite after six long years without contact. They share a history as Ryan practically lived with Finley and her brother's family in his young years due to a family heavy baggage. All his life, Ryan's goal was to join the army and so he did. When Ryan and Jake (Fin's brother) return from Afghanistan, Fin and Ryan must face what they're feeling for each other. But, as most people know, life's a bitch, and Fin and Ryan have obstacles thrown at them, forcing them to decide what's worth fighting for.

In the terms of plot Fighting Redemption isn't anything new. Many of the themes and events have been done before and are typical for stories focusing on soldiers and war, but McCarthy made the story her own. Some heavy issues are tackled, and unlike many other NA stories, this one does it with sensibility, not as an excuse to push the plot forward. I especially loved how the author presented the developing relationships within this novel apart from just the one between the main characters. Fin's brother Jake as well as Ryan's friend and army brother Kyle, was great side characters that had real personalities. McCarthy managed to create an atmosphere filled with hope, desperation, frustration, and love.

Would I recommend it? I'd definitely recommend it over most other NA stories I've read. It's a bit clichéd, but on the whole a good read. The characters are fleshed out and easy to like and root for. If I had to compare this, I'd say Nicholas Sparks' The Lucky One comes closest, but they are very different in presentation and in the terms of writing style. But, overall, a great read.