Down to You by M. Leighton

Down to You - M. Leighton

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png

Items ticked off: 14

Another new adult book which rating makes no sense to me. With almost 55000 ratings and an average on 4.08, I'm befuddled. Quite so, because I can't quite comprehend what's so good about this. For me, though, it was the characters. Especially the hero and heroine, and I couldn't care for them in the slightest due to some of their personality traits. I'll leave some quotes that points out what I didn't like about them.

Olivia, the heroine
“I have no clue. I have ovaries; therefore I repel all things mechanical.”

This might be meant as a joke, but this is about as funny to me as a man telling me to go make a sandwich since I have ovaries. And it makes about as much sense as this quote. And if it isn't a joke, that's beyond sexist.
I see only nerdy, ugly or just plain old men on most of their arms. That’s when I realize this must be a trophy wife convention instead.

I'm not saying there isn't such a thing as a trophy wife, but Olivia's been to the event for about a minute, and she's already judging every woman in the room after one glance.
“I stole [my dress] from a homeless person,” I say, straight-faced. “She was lying right beside the stripper that gave you yours.”

I don't think this one needs an explanation.

Cash, the hero
I don’t want my bartenders to look like whores, but I don’t mind for them to show a little skin and a little cleavage.

And we're back to the labeling of women judging by their clothes. I can't get behind a hero who puts women in these types of categories. Then we have the fact that Cash joked at the ovaries joke, he refers to women as "females" as if we're a different species

What can I say? I have pet peeves. The New Adult genre seems to hit them almost every time.