Revved by Samantha Towle

Revved - Samantha Towle

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png

Items ticked off: 14

Revved is, by all means, a good story. It did many themes that I appreciate when it comes to the New Adult genre. For one, we had an atypical setting. For one thing, it's not the usual college kids having rich kid problems. No, it takes place in the world of racing. Andressa "Andi" Wolfe is the daughter of world famous Formula One driver who died in the middle of a race. Andi is now a mechanic, a good one at that too, and has been hired by Carrick Ryan, the newest star in the sport. Except that everyone apart from Andi's "Uncle John" thinks she's actually a he. Given Carrick's habit for women, his team is hesitant about hiring women, especially after a recent scandal involving just women and Carrick. But Andi is allowed to stay and prove her worth.

As I said, this one had a few themes I did appreciate. Personally I don't have any great interest for cars, but I know my way around them, at least. The book also offered some diversity when it came to characters. (Andi's half Brazilian and there were characters with different nationalities and heritage, but none of them were ever central to the story, which I wished wouldn't have been the case.) Yes, it did have its moments this book, and overall, it's a good story, I'd say.

That don't mean several things bugged me. A lot. I'll start with the obvious. Andi's constant going back and forth on her relationship with Carrick. I understand she had issues with racers due to her father's death, but she repeatedly let Carrick on. Maybe this bugged me due to the fact that in the beginning of the book, I liked Andi. She was driven woman with a goal, and also with principles. Don't sleep with the people you work with, and don't get involved with a driver. Of course, she gave up the latter one rather quickly. She "fancied" him when they'd met three times, and from that point on she made no real attempts to hold onto her principles about falling for a driver. As the story grew she didn't grow stronger but rather turned into the typical heroine of a New Adult story: only focused on her feelings for the hero.

And Carrick. I don't see what the fuss was about. I get it, he's hot. But to be honest, he didn't really have a personality. The supposedly "layers" of his was never peeled off. I can't quite recall a moment when I felt that he was an actual person rather than another stereotype of the "womanizer" type. He's just the overconfident, God's gift to mankind, guy. And you know, his junk is enormous.
It’s big and thick and straining upward like a prayer. I feel like I should get down on my knees and beg for mercy.

description

Now, for the last thing. The portrayal of women. I'll say this, it wasn't as bad as other New Adult stories. Still, I feel this need to be pointed out. Apart from three women – Andi, Andi's mother, and Andi's friend Petra – the others were described as either typical mean girls or women after Carrick. In one of my status updates I asked, in bold and capital letters, if it is impossible to have female character that aren't friend of the heroine to be perfectly nice human beings. Because, again, in this story, we have Sienna. A woman Carrick uses to cover his hurt over being rejected by Andi, and of course Sienna is the meanest girl you'll ever meet. This type of portrayal of women to make the heroine look better bugs the shit out of me. It doesn't bring anything to the story to make this a woman you're obligated to dislike simply to make the heroine appear better. Then, when Carrick ends it with Sienna, he assures Andi that Sienna never cared for him, she just used him. This is also a problematic portrayal. Wether intentional or not, it sends the message that women with certain characteristics aren't capable of feelings. And this happens to be one of my biggest pet peeves, so ya'll have to excuse me when I rant about it, because I'd like to see this usage of "mean/dumb" women as a device to improve the heroine in the view of the reader gone, preferably sooner rather than later.