The Way We Fall by Cassia Leo

The Way We Fall (The Story of Us) (Volume 1) - Cassia Leo

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Items ticked off: 15

If I had to pick one word to describe The Way We Fall it would be awkward. Not because the story is necessarily awkward in any way, but rather the entire structure and parts of the plot are. What it is, is basically a second chance story. We have two people who were together when they were younger and due to some inconvenient events, they ended up going different paths in life. When they meet five years later its a coincidence and they end up having to work together. So far, there's not much to say about the story. Rory, the heroine, is still haunted by her first love, and Houston is now married and owns a successful business. But he too is haunted by their past, especially since he knows the truth about their relationship. You see, Houston had a sister, Hallie, who happened to be Rory's best friend, and Hallie committed suicide about five years ago.

As said, there's not much wrong with this story except for its awkwardness. Even after five years apart, Rory has never even attempted to get over Houston, and Houston has been wallowing in self-pity for so long. The minute they spot each other they want to get back together. Here's the awkward part. Since we're not told or shown how their first relationship came to be, we're just supposed to accept that these two have this undying love for each other. And I did not buy this part. This story moves quickly, over just, if I remember correctly, a few weeks. In the span of those weeks, Houston is ready to give up his entire way of life, and Rory more or less is blinded by trust for him, even if she didn't have it before he showed up.

What I'm trying to say is that the story was not built up properly in regards to their history to make their love today appear believable. Apart from that, I think this is a decent story. It has its flaws, and I had minor issues with Houston's character at times, but overall I enjoyed parts of it. In the sea of New Adult stories, this isn't the worst, but it is lacking in proper development of its characters' backgrounds and history.