The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski

The Edge of Never - J.A. Redmerski

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Items ticked off: 25

'If you were to let me fuck you, you would have to let me own you.'

description

Yes. That is quite the reaction I had throughout this entire book, story thing. Well, that and sporadic periods of hysterical fits of laughter. Honestly, who can not laugh at a girl who believes she's the only one in the world even contemplating philosophical questions such as "I wonder if the ocean smells different on the other side of the world." Then decides only young people know anything about love. But I'm jumping ahead.

By now I think many people have heard about this book. Well, if they've heard anything about the New Adult genre, they should've heard about The Edge of Never. The story is about Camryn who, due to her past, runs away for a life on the road because she can't stand the thought of having any sort of monotony in her life. I know, the horror, right? On a bus she meets Andrew, the handsome man who might bring her out of her depression. Because... I don't know, reasons? While Camryn carries her own secrets, Andrew has his own. And, again, if you've heard anything about New Adult, you will know his secret will be a devastating, tragic secret that is bound to add drama.

I will give The Edge of Never this: the premise is good. A young woman trying to find herself and learning where she wants to be in this world. However, after a while it is clear this is not a story about self-discovery. How can it be when this quote is actually in the book.

I’ve always been Daddy’s Girl, but you have to grow up sometime and now…now I’m Andrew’s Girl.

Insert gif from beginning of the review here.

No, this book is not about self-discovery. This is a misogynic, underdeveloped book about a girl who falls in love with a stalker and violent man who thinks rape is a joking matter. And not just once, but several times.

'Besides, I can take complete advantage of you now.' (Said to a drunk girl who isn't in any place to make decisions)

'Don’t worry, I won’t molest you.'

It's actually kind of funny...no matter how hard she pushes, the weight of my body is too heavy to move me completely.

Andrew is supposed to be this manly, no emotions, macho guy with tattoos and yet perfect musician who entice people with his singing voice. Yes, he's quite damaged this way by his father's way of teaching his sons to not show the slightest emotion. But in reality, how does Andrew come off? As a stalker. A violent one at that too. He breaks at least two noses. He checks out Camryn's driver's license "just in case" they go separate ways so he can find her. Not to mention has the urge to plow any guy's face if they so much as glance at Camryn. Like dude, take it down a notch.

Camryn is no better. As said, she tries to be deep and philosophical and ends up sounding like a spoiled, albeit oh-so-damaged-by-her-past kid. Not to mention judgmental. Apart from her hobby of wondering if oceans smell differently, her second favorite pasttime is shaming other women for their sexuality. No one is safe either. Her best friend is a slut.

Instead of sitting around dreaming up new sex positions, as Natalie often does about Damon, her boyfriend of five years, I dream about things that really matter.

But don't worry guys, Natalie's not a real slut. Camryn just likes to think that about her so called best friend anytime that woman is mentioned.

Then any woman who looks at Andrew with interest is a slut. Her own mother is a slut. Everyone is a slut, which leads to a discussion on who is a slut and not. I.e. a woman is a slut if she has several one-night stands. But if she has one or two then, to quote Andrew, there is nothing wrong with that. Says the guy who's slept with a lot more women than one or two. And of coure, Camryn agrees with this. Here it gets interesting though, because not much later Andrew explains to Camryn that "A woman who knows what she wants sexually and isn’t afraid to express it is so fucking hot.". His exact words. He still claims that a woman can't have several one-night stands.

Does he not see how utterly ridiculous this is? He continues later though.

"Well, when…Dominique Starla does it, it’s just to some random guy lookin’ to get off behind a keyboard. That guy’s not dreaming about anything with her except her face in his lap. But when someone…I-dunno…like a sweet, sexy, completely un-slutty girl does it, the guy is thinking about a lot more than her face in his lap. He’s probably not even thinking about that at all, at least on a deeper level.”

I am going to be honest here. This is one of the few times a book makes me cry. That's how much it hurt to read those discussions.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. This book trivializes sexuality, mental illness – especially depression – and several other topics. It's offensive in so many ways. It's all solved by love, no professional help involved. Apart from that, regarding the writing, I have to quote Stephen King here. "The road to hell is paved with adverbs.". That's really all I have to say on this.

Rant ended.