Loving Mr. Daniels by Brittainy C. Cherry

Loving Mr. Daniels - Brittainy C. Cherry

photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Items ticked off: 16

His lips didn’t only look soft and kissable—they looked talented as well. Like they could kiss someone even if they were on the other side of the world and make that person melt.

Trust me when I say I am immensely confused right now.Loving Mr. Daniels is so far away from what I like and should like. To be honest, there were times when I didn't like this. As in,really disliked it. I mean, that quote above is cringe-worthy enough. Kiss someone on the other side of the world? Really? That is the kind of writing fourteen year old me would've swooned over for months. Yes, I was that easily swayed back then.

But, you know what? I am going to say this. I liked it. Despite containing several of my pet peeves, I enjoyed it. Despite the instalove, the purple and in need of editing writing, the melodrama, I liked it. And it makes almost no sense whatsoever.

'I went from having a twin, to having you, and there has never been a time for me to learn what it means to be alone. And I need to try. I need to try to be alone for awhile to prove to myself that I can stand on my own.'

I compared Loving Mr. Daniels to The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Losing It, and A Walk to Rememberwhile reading it, but in the end, I must say, it is more of a mix of them all.Loving Mr. Daniels follows Ashlyn as she moves to live with a father she hasn't talked to in years. Her twin just died of leukemia, and Ashlyn is more lost than she's ever been. Right before school starts up, she happens to meet Daniel at the bar. A handsome musician who can quote Shakespeare. It's love at first sight. And then, you guessed it, it turns out Daniel is her new English teacher. Forbidden fruit. But Ashlyn is having a hard time adjusting even though she soon finds new friends in her new stepsiblings, Daniel is the one she feels comfortable with, and they start up a relationship.

So why? Why did I enjoy this since it contains so many of my pet peeves? Well, for starters, for me, this read is more about Ashlyn's progression with her grief and the bonds she form with her new friends. Yes, there is a love story, and it's pretty overdramatic, but on the side, we get a young woman trying to find her place in the world. And while the relationship and dynamics between Ashlyn and Daniel is painfully underdeveloped, her friendship to Ryan, her stepbrother, is quite wonderful. Ryan is carrying heavy guilt on his shoulders and a secret inside him. Actually, I'd rather have a book about Ryan, but well, I see that won't be the case.

For once we have a NA trying to take on something beside a messed up romance. It's still messed up with Daniel being a teacher and his family issues, but at least he's not a douche. Daniel is kind of sweet, if not naive at times and the least cautious person ever. He is still the type of NA hero I can get on board with instead of all the aggressive and violent heroes that are occupying this genre. Ashlyn isn't likable all times. She has a habit of lashing out at people, as if she's the only one holding grief within her. Here's the thing though. Her character is believable. A teenager in war with her emotions plus a recent death in her family? I'd be impressed and terrified if she didn't lose her shit at times.

I liked this one. Even with its major flaws and my rational mind telling me I am wrong for enjoying, I will stand by that I do. Maybe I'm feeling generous today, but really, in the ocean of crappy NA books, I do believe his is a step in the right direction.