Jet by Jay Crownover

Jet - Jay Crownover

Why I still (often) hate New Adult, part. 2

I lifted a dark eyebrow and leaned a little closer to him, as I caught sight of a redhead in too-tight clothes circling.

Because in New Adult, women aren't allowed to wear whatever the hell they want without being judged.

After all, he was a guy who was used to groupies and band sluts throwing themselves at him on a daily basis, and the last thing I wanted was to be just one more.

Because in New Adult, women who wants sex with a person in a band is called a slut. Not a human being with a sexuality and her eyes set on a particular person.

That—and no guy ever turned down no-strings sex.

Because in New Adult, men are incapable of saying no to sex.

I had my computer open and was working on something for my biochem class.

Because in New Adult, a person's interest and education is less important than throwing in a sexual situation.

This had become our ritual over the last three months, since Jet had come to live with us. At least two to three times a week, we subjected whichever random chick he had brought home with him the night before to a (humiliating for them, hilarious for us) walk of shame.

Because in New Adult, a woman who has a one-night stand must be embarrassed for having sex with someone else.

Why I hated this, too. (All the time)

I was so used to being called a whore, a slut, white trash, and all the things that just went along with the life I was living, that it didn’t even occur to me until it was almost too late, that leaving the place where I was that girl would mean leaving all of that behind.

Because a woman who have been called whore, slut, and white trash feels the need to call other women skanks and bar sluts. That's internalized misogyny if there ever was some. And no, judging other people by their sexuality is never going to make you more appealing.

Loren was custom-made to be a trophy wife who would be cheated on after she lost her shine. She had no idea what a real future looked like or what a steady guy like Adam had to offer.

Because if you are a good looking woman and aren't attending college, you apparently can't be smart or expect a good future.Fuck that. I know several women (and men) who aren't or have gone to college or a university and still has a good life and future, not to mention they are a great deal smarter than this book's heroine is. You don't need to be book-smart to be intelligent in other areas.

She was every guy’s cheerleader fantasy all grown up, complete with fake double Ds. She had about as much sense as a bobblehead doll, and I couldn’t figure out why she tried to go toe-to-toe with me, because she never won.

Because this is an actual quote. One of all the man shaming women. The amount of slut-shaming and misogyny made me cry, and that's not even an exaggeration.

And most of all, I hated this because a guy who tried to rape (or in the least sexually harassed) his girlfriend is considered the epitome for a good boyfriend. Their relationship is also the guideline for the couple in this book. No thanks.

New Adult Project: