Losing It by Cora Carmack

Losing It - Cora Carmack
And I think I could one day be in love with [my best friend], but I had to get rid of my feelings for Garrick first.

You know, if Bliss had had anything in her head, this book would have been so much simpler. She would have realized that, holy shit, this is my teacher, off limits, and we didn't spend any time together for me to catch feelings, so I'll go focus on my best friend, a person I can actually fall in love with. Instead she continues to fall for her teacher (which still makes no sense, because they barely speak) and hopes to lose her virginity.

Okay, let's face it. This book is nothing but Bliss' constant hopes to loose her virginity to her teach whom she has the hots for. But, since he's a teacher, they make a poor attempt to not do anything about it. Until, as typical, they both get jealous and decide, screw the rules, let's screw each other. The plot is non-existent, and I swear Bliss' wonderful friend Cade is only in this story for convenience so something can move the story along.

One of the few things saving this story, for me, is that it's not littered with the typical clichés in New Adult (at least no as many as usual). There are no tragic pasts or the typical douchebag hero. They are actually nice people (apart from Bliss' stupidity). However, while Losing It is busy focusing on the hero Garrick's hotness, it fails to give him any substance. What do I actually know about this guy? Well. He's British? But his British personality is only present in his constant use of the word "love". Not sure if this is the case, but I doubt British people go around telling this to random people they just met, or use it in every other sentence.

While I found the writing decent and readable, the voice of Bliss was so immature. As in, she sounds about twelve rather than twenty two. The constant use of CAPITAL letters to put emphasis on words frustrated me to no end, as well did the usage of FML. And. This. Type. Of. Writing. It just didn't do it for me. Yet, apart from that, I found it oddly readable. Compared to other titles in the New Adult genre, this might be one of the few that didn't offend me that much. Yes, I had issues still with the portrayal of sexuality, but it wasn't as bad as some other works in the genre. Would I recommend it? Not in particular, because it does miss the whole thing known as having a plot and likable characters.

New Adult Tropes The List.
Items ticked off: 14