New Adult: the list.

First off, a big thanks to Rose for sharing her list of tropes in the New Adult genre! I've now compiled the list I'll be using when checking off the tropes in the books I read. To help, I decided to divide it up a bit with 6 categories, but I will still summary all of them of course. But I think dividing it like this will be useful when this year comes to an end. It'll be easier to see which tropes and in which category are the most common. Anyway, here's the full list:

1. TROPES FOR HEROINE:

a. Virgin.

b. Excessively good looking without being aware

c. Submissive

d. Jealousy

e. Damaged

f. Lacking Self Confidence/Assertivenes

g. Chiefly associated with the incidents of sexual shaming - labeling, accusations, etc. (slut shaming)

h. Damsel in Distress - even confident, independent females need saving from male hero

i. Lack of positive girl relationships (usually see friends as "enemies" or competition in relationships, education, positions of authority, etc.)

j. Has nicknames

k. Chin lift/hands on hips/clenched fists from female character

2. TROPES FOR HERO:

a. Struggles with Possession/Control (in relationships, in future, etc.)

b. Sexually active/sexually confident/sexually dominant (very few virgin heroes)

c. Alpha personalities mostly (very few beta males)

d. Tattoos

e. Damaged

f. Overconfident

g. Aggressive

h. Penchant for violence/Conflict for Little to No Motivation

i. Jealousy

j. Dominance/Domination

k. Wealthy

l. ”Not ready for sex”, ”deserve better than me” or similar phrases from male MC to Female MC.

3. TROPES FOR PASTS:

a. One MC or both MCs have a former cheating partner.

b. Abuse/assault

c. Rape/Sexual assault

d. Memory Loss Due to Trauma

e. Terminal Illness (in family, close relationships, or individual character's illness)

f. Shattered family life (alcoholism, mental illness, terrible parents etc.)

g. Suicide attempts or Suicide in Family/Close Circles

4. TROPES OCCUPATION/BACKGROUNDS:

a. Musicians

b. Entertainers (actors etc.)

c. Billionaires

d. Sport figures

e. Bartenders

5. TROPES DIVERSITY AND CHARACTERS:

a. White main characters

b. Few minorities (race, disabilities, religions, sexualities)

c. Stereotypical description of minority groups.

d. Trivialization of Sexual Identity/Discovery/Choice

e. Slutty friend/gay friend

6. TROPES PLOT:

a. Instalove

b. Ends in marriage or true love

c. Pregnancy

d. ”Love heals everything”

e. Breakup at least once

It's a long list, and I hope it'll shine some light on what's actually in New Adult stories today. The two NA books I've read this year (and finished) ticked off 22 (Out of Line by Jen McLaughlin) and 23 (Battlescars by Sophie Monroe). And I've been rather generous about not ticking off items from the list. Especially the Penchant for Violence in the HERO category. Both books were close to having them as well, but I've decided to not be too harsh. Anyway, I'll be updating how this is going maybe once a month or so. But that's it so far.