Searching for Someday by Jennifer Probst

Searching for Someday - Jennifer Probst
Yeah, a matchmaker and a divorce lawyer. That’s got success written all over it.

You know, when said matchmaker have a magical ability to sense when people are soulmates and meant to be, it does have success written all over it. Especially when said ability is foolproof. But, oh wait, we forgot the part where said matchmaker won't pull her head out of her ass, making this have exhausting written all over it.

To summarize: Kate is a matchmaker with an ability to sense mates. Slade – please, for the love of everything that's holy, stop giving heroes in romance novels names which fit better in animated cartoons for children – is a divorce lawyer who doesn't believe in love after his marriage went to hell. When Slade's younger sister, who has a past which includes a suicide attempt, decides to spread her wings and move away from Slade, and then start going to a matchmaker, Slade must follow and protect her. The matchmaking agency is owned by our very own Kate. From the moment Slade and Kate meet they know they're terrible for each other, or so it would look on paper. They strike a deal, Slade will sue Kate's business for being a scam unless she can prove her business works by finding him romance. Things gets complicated when Kate realizes she and Slade are meant to be.

Wait. That's right. This shouldn't be complicated at all. I mean, Kate and Slade are soulmates. They are literally made to be together as a couple. There should be no fucking problem at all with this. But, as said, Kate refuses to accept that they are right for each other, continuing to set Slade up with new women to date. Which leads to, in a shorter summary of this stupid story:

'Let me get this straight. You sleep with him. Break it off in the morning. Decide to go your separate ways and set him up with another date. Then he shows up at your doorstep right after said date, and you sleep together for the second time. Then break up in the morning. Again. Do I have it right?'

Add in that Slade dates women between all these instances and we come to the conclusion that he's an ass, and Kate's just too stupid to live.

I'm sorry, but there just isn't enough to this story to make it good. The obvious plotholes are too great and many, the characters flat and boring, and not really a plot. I'll admit, Kate's relationship to her injured dog is sweet, but the rest of this story isn't worth it. So the writing is decent, but not even that can save this trainwreck. I don't think I've ever read a romance where I wished the two main characters wouldn't end up together. Because despite Kate's ability, I agree with her. Slade is the wrong man. The chemistry between them isn't great and I honestly can't understand what either of them saw in the other. At certain point it was actually painful to read how forced their relationship was. And don't get me started on how big of an asshole Slade is. I'll just leave this here:

'Absolutely not. I can’t take the pressure of no sex before marriage, and a woman who hasn’t had experience may have a false attachment to me just because I’m her first.'

As if women who are virgins can't have sex for the first time without falling in love with the guy (or girl).

And, really, a book that describes "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke as sexy just isn't for me. Really, I should just have put the down book when I read that. Okay, I should have put the book away when it was revealed Kate is a virgin, and yet, according to Slade, she's the type of woman most men wants.

No. Just, no. That's all.